• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Loop Control VIA BIOS/T Sensor - Can it be done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

euro3er

Hello, looking at building my first custom loop and was trying to figure how to control my pump and radiator fans without using an external fan controller. I have the VIII Hero motherboard that has a w_pump, cpu_fan, t_sensor (three of them), and chassis_fan headers. According to the manual, these are all 4-pin PWM headers.

Is it possible to input a temperature sensor into my loop and connect it to the t_sensor header on my motherboard and have my PWM radiator fans and pump speed regulate based off of this temperature sensor source and regulate based on the fan curve set within the BIOS via Q-Fan?

Ideally, it would be connected like this:

Temperature sensor connected to t_sensor header.
Water pump connected to w_pump header.
Radiator fans connected to chassis_fan 1 running in PWM mode.

Source for radiator fans and water pump is t_sensor.

I don't think the cpu_fan header source can be changed from cpu to t_sensor or can it?

Water temp doesnt change very much (compared to the CPU temp) , but your CPU fan header should already be tied to the CPU temp so just use that and setup your fan curve

Not to step on Console's advise, I wouldn't regulate the pump and fan speeds based on CPU temps, etc. I would do it based off of water or delta temps so its a gradual increase or decrease. In your case OP, it should be that water temp probe. I use a 3rd party controller that controls my whole loop's ecosystem. I use one of the water temp sensors coming out of the rad as the source to the fan and pump curves, for example.

I would check your MB's manual to see what the limits to those channels are. Usually these MB headers have a limit to 1 Amp (Fans) as some pumps start at 1.5 Amps at the least, if it were a premium DDC or D5 pump.

I would not change the pump speed only the fan speed .

Your way GTX would be better but mine requires no new parts .

Last edited:
Back