• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Vertigo Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedman11229

Heres my idea, a tower. So far its an idea, i might do, might not. Might start next weekend. Not traditional ones like have lots of depth and height. But my tower will be very tall comparing to most cases, but will not have a lot of depth, length, or width. It's basically this but a tower. The shape of it is how the world trade centers looked like. A tall square.

Here are some pictures i did in google sketchup. The external will be a wooden color, probably something close to mahogany but lighter, maybe rosewood. The blue surfaces will be probably 140 mm blue led fans. The gray surfaces on the side will be cast acrylic. The whole case will be made out of wood. Now since I don't have a lot of depth. The hdds will be hanging vertically just below the top fan.

I will move my sig rig to this case. Space for 5-6 hdd's hanging vertically from top, right below top fan.

The length and width will be 10" by 10". And a height of 2.5 feet should suffice.

Hdd's right on top, mobo beneath that, power supply beneath mobo, and on the bottom dvd drives for weight and stability.

3x 140mm fans in front, 1 140mm on back along with 1 120 mm, 1 200 mm on top. The google sketchup is true to scale.

Parts list
Power/reset/usb/esata panel
wheels
200 mm top fan
1 lamptron 4 channel fan controller
1 Thermal-Star LCD Media Panel 7-in-1 Card Reader / Fan Controller / Temp. Display
1 120 mm blue led fan, comes with switch that turns off led, if u can find similar tell me
24 pin extension
nuts/screws standoffs
3m tape
windows kits x2
sound dampening kit
one wooden grills
200 mm grill
hdd led
4 times 140 mm blue led fans
4x 140 mm fan grill

Attachments

• true to scale 1.JPG
    true to scale 1.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 465
  • true to scale 2.JPG
    true to scale 2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
No, air cooling, and I wanted it to be square. And matx mobos are usually 9.6", so I rounded up to 10". It might be big, but i think that their will be just a bit more space than needed. I will start with the bottom platform and work my way up.

You might have some issues with cable length. The maximum length for a sata cable is 1m, with 36in being the largest I have seen available. You will not have much extra cable to do routing.

The mobo will be slightly above the middle height of the case, and power supply right beneath it, and the dvd drives below that. 3 feet is a rough estimate, it might end up being 2.5'. And the hdd's right on top of the mobo. Changed height to 2.5 feet.

Last edited:
I did a new google sketchup, to scale, and everything fits, front 3 140 mm fans, on the back 1 140mm, 1 120 mm fan, and the top 200mm. And the power supply will be near the bottom so, it wont be top heavy.

I suggest rethinking the physics of that case.

Item 1: Tall **** likes to fall over. Stabilize by lowering center of gravity
Solution: Move PSU to bottom most level.

Item 2: Heat rises. Warm or hot air from ODD, HDD, and PSU will be washing over the heatsinks of the motherboard. (BTW: Where are the hard drives??)
Solution: Consider (partial?) compartmentalization. Just slide some sort of divider plate with a "U"shape cut out to route all cables through. MOVE TEH HARD DRIVES.

Item 3: i just don't like the motherboard back panel area.
Solution: Consider something similar to this and throw in a Corsair H50. Will also help to lower the "chimney" effect.

Item 4: I don't like that wood finish.
Solution: I am feeling a brushed or polished aluminum exterior, topped with a disco ball. But this one is up to you.

May post some Paint pics soon.

I agree with the air cooling on that. I would suggest changing the 140mm and 120 mm to 120mms at the bottom at an angle sucking in from the bottom sides and back, sorta like a three way intake from the bottom, then perhaps a decently powered 200mm high cfm fan pulling air out from the top.

Back