• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Watercooling Build but not getting watercooled temps need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Corsair Link doesn't like having other programs open recording the temps and CL is buggy.

I'm also not sure if Core Temps is the right software for a AMD CPU as your temps seem to be all over the place. Some of these programs are more accurate with certain hardware then others. I believe HWMonitor is the software to go to when it comes to AMD CPUs but a confirmation from a longtime AMD bencher would be great.

Not sure if that's the CPUs factory clock but I would bring it down to stock if it isn't and start over. First we need to investigate the loop first before we go OCing.

Your right Scotty there is bigger issues here than were the temp sensor is in the loop.

That alphacool pump will not be much better than whatyou have now. It has a better head pressure but a lower flow rate. You could try running both pumps inn series and you would get better performance but your best bet is to probably get a better pump.

OK my temp sensor for the waterloop is in the res after the water comes from the GPU and before it enters the 360 rad

- - - Updated - - -

That is the stock clock. I know the CPU will be stable at 4.7 but I want to figure out this watercooling problem first.

The temp sensor for waterloop is after the GPU in my loop.

Loop order is

PUMP>240mm>CPU>120mm>GPU>RES>360mm

Can you pout together a list of your water cooling components and as Scotty said, did you disassemble your blocks and clean them?

Yes I clean them and dissemble them when I change case.

I have a Alphacool R9 280 full block
NexXxos CPU Block
NexXxos XT45 X-flow 120mm, 240mm, 360mm rads
Coolplex Pro 10lt res
Swiftech 13mmOD/10mmID Comprerssion fittings
Alphacool 13mm/10mm soft tubing
Silver coil and PT Nuke using Distilled Water
Aplphacool 90 degree compression fittings

I restarted my computer and the BIOS showed my motherboard at 31C and CPU at 27C after maybe a 2 second for it to restart and Corsair LINK is showing temps of CPU 55C GPU 56C and Waterloop temp sensor at 27C. I think I'm going to wait til the Alphacool pump arrive and then tear down my blocks and clean them. I did a 15 sec flow test using a measuring cup and my pump is flowing correctly with no problem 1.78 gpm. so either I don't have the blocks on correct the hardware temps are inaccurate. I have those thin golden tape temp sensors since you cant really put them between the blocks and processor where would you suggest to see if corsair temp aren't reporting correctly? The Mb temp in Bios was 31C and Link showing it was 27C which is close I suppose.

I have to disagree with this Scotty if he has an extremely low flow rate due to restriction the water temperature after a rad will read drastically lower than before.

A rad has the lowest restriction than any block cooler, CPU or GPU block. Much much much lower. Rethink your logic here. The lowest restriction causes low flow. Ain't gonna be a rad. Think.....

Or run tests check flow rate CPU block vs rad. Your choice. Common sense logic here.

A rad has the lowest restriction than any block cooler, CPU or GPU block. Much much much lower. Rethink your logic here. The lowest restriction causes low flow. Ain't gonna be a rad. Think.....

Or run tests check flow rate CPU block vs rad. Your choice. Common sense logic here.

The conversation was not about restriction of a radiator. The comment was If the flow throughout the whole loop was hindered due to restriction that you could see a severe temperature differential between the water before and after a radiator. It doesn't matter were in the loop the restriction stems from, the entire loop will have the same flow rate.

I don think its a flow rate problem or restriction. I think its user error and I didn't put enough thermal paste or the blocks aren't tight enough. Going to wait until I receive my new Alphacool pump tomorrow and disassemble and reassemble my blocks and see if that makes a difference.

I waiting on that pump it may have been a flow rate problem in the last case but in the new case I am pumping 1.9 GPM with my Aquarius Pump.

Ok so a quick update. My RES is not filled all the way so I think the temp of the loop may be off a little. My Swiftech pump should arrive tomorrow so I going to finally be able to closed the loop off and get better temp readings. I am thinking that the loop is suffering from flow issue and the loop not being closed right now. Once it arrives I will tear down and clean and rebuild my loop again and then see how temps do and will post new pics and temps to see if the problem still exists.

Ok so I installed the Swiftech MCP50x which has 3.8 GPM on max and I was able to get the temp to raise a few degree on my water loop sensor but the GPU and CPU are at around 45 C at idle when running Heaven the GPU reach a max of 95 C while the water temp of the loop barely rose two. The water loop temp is 22 C and when testing it was 24 C I also ran AIDIA 64 stress test on CPU and the temp on Corsair Link for CPU got up to around 50 C but in AIDIA it stayed at a max of 32 while the test was being conducted. So I feel there is some inconsistences of temp readings in Corsair but while running both software the GPU block was pretty hot when I touch it with the back on my hand. The temp reported in Heaven was the same as Corsair Link. So I did flush my loop and ran new tubing and change the layout of the loop a little. I put a 4 way cross piece on the inlet of my pump and attached the water temp sensor, res tube, and return tube from my 360mm rad on the 4way. that way the pump is feed by the Res and return of loop. I have the pump actual res on order but like the setup. Any ideas on how to figure out this problem would be greatly appreciated. I also applied new thermal paste to my GPU and CPU before re attaching the blocks. I also made sure they were tighten correctly. I read up on Delta T and just curious my room is cold and the window stays open the heater is off in this room the outside temp has been around -2 C the past few days with snow. is it possible that the temps are so cold outside that the water cant collect any heat? I would like to point out when using the old pump that in the pictures earlier there was a few days I notice that the water was warm to the touch and the water in the bowl did evaporate. Will post new pics of the pump later but the loop is finally closed and complete so to still have this problem is weird.

So you have a good pump now but still have the issues?

Either you put your GPU and CPU block on backwards, have the inlet and outlet backwards or there is serious restriction or a blockage somewhere.

Simple test: unplug everything but your pump. Now remove the tubing going to a GPU.( just remove the one end of thw tube. Dont remove the whole tube itself) Now put a bucket under said tube and turn the pump on. Does the water gush out or does it dribble out?

Silver you was right I have the inlet and outlet backwards on my GPU block in the loop. I change that in my loop and there is still issues in my loop. The GPU will reach 100C while running Heaven and the OC will turn power off. I'm not sure if it a problem with the block or the fact that I only have a 200mm intake fan and the rest of my fans are exhaust attached to Radiators but for some reason I'm not able to get the heat to transfer to the water. Running AIDA 64 for two hours now and the CPU has only reach a max of 37 C according to AIDA 64 but Corsair link is reporting 76 C. the water temp is showing 25.6 C which is higher by 4 C. So if Corsair is reporting CPU and GPU temps wrong than the loop is working but the GPU is getting to hot when stressing the loop. I thinking that maybe the block need air which in my case there is not much

Silver you was right I have the inlet and outlet backwards on my GPU block in the loop. I change that in my loop and there is still issues in my loop. The GPU will reach 100C while running Heaven and the OC will turn power off. I'm not sure if it a problem with the block or the fact that I only have a 200mm intake fan and the rest of my fans are exhaust attached to Radiators but for some reason I'm not able to get the heat to transfer to the water. Running AIDA 64 for two hours now and the CPU has only reach a max of 37 C according to AIDA 64 but Corsair link is reporting 76 C. the water temp is showing 25.6 C which is higher by 4 C. So if Corsair is reporting CPU and GPU temps wrong than the loop is working but the GPU is getting to hot when stressing the loop. I thinking that maybe the block need air which in my case there is not much

There is no need to air cool the blocks themselves. Are you stressing the system with the side panel on the case on? If so take it off then stress again. Perhaps your case airflow is poor causing the heat to build up inside.

I would check all the blocks to see if they are backwards too. Never hurts to check :)

Also see if HWMonitor reports the same CPU and GPU temps.

I'd remount the GPU blocks. Pay close attention to how the paste and tape is compressed when you remove the block. Might tell you something.

With these modern blocks, they seem to all use impingement micro channels so flow direction is important. So yea, try that first.

I re did the blocks and check they are all correct now. When stressing the GPU none of the panels were on. I stressing the system now with my pump on max to see if that makes a difference with my CPU temps. I know that the CPU temps are not correct in Corsair LInk due to using AIDA 64 since it was reporting temps low than Link was reporting.

- - - Updated - - -

When running Heaven the GPU now goes to about 90 C but the water temp only raises to 25 C which is about 2 higher than idle. I had HWMonitor and was getting difference reading than LInk. I reinstall it and see what temp it gives me.

- - - Updated - - -

HWMonitor is reporting the same temp and Corsair LInk

Back