• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cutting up a heatsink.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Docta_Z

Hey guys.

Quick question for you - I have one of these...

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10205&vpn=ZM-NB47J&manufacture=ZALMAN TECH

extra sitting around and I want to make a southbridge heatsink from it.

Now the problem is.. as you can probably see from that picture - this heatsink is a honking big size - much too big for me to slap onto the southbridge.

SO I want to cut it up and make it small.

How do you suggest I go about cutting through it??? What would work best?

I have both a metal saw and a dremel...

I somehow think a saw might work better...

although I want to cut it shorter and it might be a lot easier to cut the tops of the fins off with a dremel...

ColtIce said:
a hacksaw and a vice are what I always use.

and that cuts through the metal pretty easily?

ok I'll cut the heatsink base in half with the saw and chop the fins down to size with a dremel.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Just make the cut on the base side first so the burrs point inward... unless you have a file, in which case just do it whatever way and file the burrs off. To fit the HS on the SB, you can either use Arctic Alumina or some HS goop and just put a dab of superglue on each of the 4 corners of the HS to hold it on. I use the superglue method just to save money... but if you have Alumina already, it holds it on better (permanently?).

I have aluminia :)

I used it to put a northbridge hs on.

Good point about the cutting direction though!!

Back