• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cutting up and rewiring PCBs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tantalum

Registered
I was wondering would I be able to cut apart a PCB and rewire all the connections? Isn't a PCB nothing but a way to make complex connections in a small space?

I'm asking because I would rather not screw up this board by doing something that seems like it would work, only to later find out that there are more layers then I can see....

I used a lamp to shine through the PCB so I could see the paths, here are some pictures that also show where I want to cut.

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/957/circutcut1rp2.png
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9716/circutcut2ua3.png

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
What do you intend to do with it? Do you have a schematic? It is a bad bad idea to chop up PCB's without understanding the schematic (circuit diagram). If you have the Schematic, I can lay out a PCB for you.

OP
T

Tantalum

Registered
I plan on stacking one on top of the other. I was going to de-solder the connections that are in the way of the cut, then wire them back together once I have the boards in the position that I need them to be in... Its from a power supply. I was able to see a basic outline of the traces that I can cut around by using the lamp(The first photo.).

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
OP
T

Tantalum

Registered
The reason why I had wanted to keep part of the original PCB is because I am rather new to creating circuits on a perf board, so I thought it would be much easier to just use the other board and reconnect them with wire(They are going to be placed a few inches apart with another board between them so I cant just use a really long perf board.).

Here is a example of what I mean.

Attachments

• Example.PNG
    Example.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 576