• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cya later Android!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ouch, that sucks.
My mom's screen cracked on her Galaxy S last month.
Bought the screen/digitizer/glass (all one piece) for around $110 off ebay and got it all fixed up.

I saw that you had an ICS rom on it..?
Mind giving a link to it or what the name is? As my mom's is on 2.2 which is limited compared to newer versions.
Also, how was ICS experience on it?

& I'm very happy with Android. I'd personally never get an iPhone...Just not enough customization for me.

I have a custom rom on my phone (HTC Sensation 4G) with overclocked/undervolted cpu. Wish it had more ram. Other then that, I love it and almost never have problems.

Hey NJG,

Sorry I have been busy as of late and I didnt see this post!

I ended up putting JB on it just before it cracked.. I too am waiting for my replacement screen.. It should be here tomorrow I believe. I got mine off of ebay also! :)

I get my ROMS from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=665

Before killing it, I was running this JB build, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1747042 and it was slick.. Everything was working fine, EXCEPT google plus.. For some reason it would slow down the device :/

Make sure you are grabbing ROMS for the proper device! I almost grabbed a Vibrant ROM that wasn't for my phone (i9000)...

Good luck! :)

For those of you guys that don't want to be tied down to contracts with carriers...

I got my copy of Forbes for the month of September a couple days ago and they have a feature on the "new millionaires" about entrepreneurs under 30 in the US... There was a feature on there about this guy that came to the US from Pakistan (for school) and when he tried to get a phone he ran into the whole "you don't have credit here so we can't give you a contract" at the local phone store... This guy was used to the European model where you buy the phone direct from manufacturer and then shop for "pay as you go" plans until you find the one that best suits your needs...

Long story short... He started GSMNation and now you can buy, unbranded/unlocked phones from there and then shop around for the "non-contract plan" providers available in your region. :D

My Galaxy S2 was my first Android handset... Initially I enjoyed it enough, but when I heard about the whole carrierIQ thing... I flashed it to CM7 and it was even better... then currently I have it flashed to CM9 stable and it's the best phone I've ever had next to the Samsung A500 I had on sprint ages ago.

My GF got herself a Samsung Captivate and she hates it... it's still running Froyo and is buggy as hell.

The S2 replaced a iPhone 3G that was just slow trash on iOS4... I'd have to wait several seconds just to get it to play music, let alone do other, more complex tasks with it.... it was so bad I went back to my BB 8820 until the S2 release which was 8 months later.

Needless to say I'm never going to be an iPhone user, I just don't like the idea of them... Just like computers, I like getting under the hood and doing things myself.

Ok, I'm back. I have an Evo 3D running gingerbread now, and it is a lot better. I'm actual liking this. I know it's still not exactly current, but this is much better. It's not bad at all. I'm shocked that I'm saying that. Going to dig into it a bit more. Still looking for a newer phone as well but hey these things are being given to me to play around with, so beggars can't be choosers.

Hey NJG,

Sorry I have been busy as of late and I didnt see this post!

I ended up putting JB on it just before it cracked.. I too am waiting for my replacement screen.. It should be here tomorrow I believe. I got mine off of ebay also! :)

I get my ROMS from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=665

Before killing it, I was running this JB build, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1747042 and it was slick.. Everything was working fine, EXCEPT google plus.. For some reason it would slow down the device :/

Make sure you are grabbing ROMS for the proper device! I almost grabbed a Vibrant ROM that wasn't for my phone (i9000)...

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the reply, very useful links.
I wasn't aware that there were even ICS, let alone JB roms for the older/original galaxies until now.

Ok, I'm back. I have an Evo 3D running gingerbread now, and it is a lot better. I'm actual liking this. I know it's still not exactly current, but this is much better. It's not bad at all. I'm shocked that I'm saying that. Going to dig into it a bit more. Still looking for a newer phone as well but hey these things are being given to me to play around with, so beggars can't be choosers.

Gingerbread is infinitely better than Froyo! 2.3.6 I believe is the last stable official release..

Ok, I now have a Droid Bionic. This is the last one I'll be getting for a little bit I'd imagine. It's brand new though. Took it out of the box at lunch time. I love free stuff.

Starting to read about rooting and installing custom roms. Anyone recommend a good site to start off with for complete noobs to Android?

I would say XDA developers, but the fact of the matter is that most people there are kind of jerks. I lucked out, and my cell provider is US Cellular, which has a nice forum with technical stuffs.

That's where I'm reading now. I don't plan on posting unless I run into serious trouble. I'm working on loading ICS now.

I haven't any problems with the guys at XDA.. Sometimes you run into the odd European that seems forward but overall I think most are nice..

Good luck with the ICS install GoD :)

I agree the people at xda are kind of jerks, not all of them are bad but some of them assume everyone understands everything the very first time they look at it, and I don't know, maybe I'm just more patient. I usually just tell people to pm me if they need help and people are just being jerks, xda name is the same as my name here. I played with my friend's iPhone today and I have to admit, the aluminium side feels pretty damn good. I think that's been my only problem with the galaxy series, they feel ehh, most android phones feel to cheap in my opinion, if Samsung were to make a phone with the same quality feel, wow that would be the phone to have.

Got it running ICS now. It's nice. Judging by the fact that it still doesn't officially have ICS released, I'd venture a guess that I won't see JB ever on the Bionic. So far I'm liking ICS much better than gingerbread. Putting some movies on a 16gb SD card.

Yea ICS is great use it 24/7 on both my S3 and Prime,cant wait to get an official release on these both for JB hopefully by the end of the month:)

Got it running ICS now. It's nice. Judging by the fact that it still doesn't officially have ICS released, I'd venture a guess that I won't see JB ever on the Bionic. So far I'm liking ICS much better than gingerbread. Putting some movies on a 16gb SD card.

Looking around, it looks like there are already JB builds for the bionic showing up, although they are still in alpha.

Same situation for my phone (HTC Sensation 4g)....JB builds just beginning to show up but aren't stable yet/have missing features.

However, I'm sure most of the problems will get worked out and we'll be running JB roms pretty soon.

I'm also running the ICS "beta" because everything before it was complete garbage. When CM9/10 comes out, it will have support for our phone; go that route.

I'm also running the ICS "beta" because everything before it was complete garbage. When CM9/10 comes out, it will have support for our phone; go that route.

I like it, but it's pretty plain. It runs smoother, and looks a little better, but I still haven't learned how to mess around with it. I need to learn about the custom rom stuff. How is the battery life with stuff like the live wallpapers on? Does it degrade it badly? Any apps you guys recommend that I should have? I'm putting on AndroidLost and I already have MX Player. Need some other suggestions. Thanks for the help guys.

I used XDA forums to load up the ICS on it. Followed directions and it was pretty easy.

I like it, but it's pretty plain. It runs smoother, and looks a little better, but I still haven't learned how to mess around with it. I need to learn about the custom rom stuff. How is the battery life with stuff like the live wallpapers on? Does it degrade it badly? Any apps you guys recommend that I should have? I'm putting on AndroidLost and I already have MX Player. Need some other suggestions. Thanks for the help guys.

I used XDA forums to load up the ICS on it. Followed directions and it was pretty easy.

Battery life will differ between every ROM you throw on it.. It all comes down to how well the developer has tailored the ROM to work with the hardware.. I think I tried 4 different ICS ROMs on my old SGS 1 before I settled on one. Best part about ICS and now JB? Widgets.. Get em! :)

Last edited:
Battery life will differ between every ROM you throw on it.. It all comes down to how well the developer has tailored the ROM to work with the hardware.. I think I tried 4 different ICS ROMs on my old SGS 1 before I settled on one. Best part about ICS and now JB? Widgets.. Get em! :)

Widgets got it...Recommend any? Can you download them, or is it just whats on the phone?

Widgets got it...Recommend any? Can you download them, or is it just whats on the phone?

You can download them and some will come with the phone. I personally like em. Some users do not...

here is my home screen for example. I have 3 widgets on there, the calendar, the Weather Network widget, and a nifty phone info one.

nexus.jpg

One of the reasons users do not like them, is they do use battery life, they are thin apps that do poll for updated information from time to time.

Its all personal preference though. Start playing around with the phone and make it fit you...

:thup:

Back