• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cybercriminals who breached Nvidia issue one of the most unusual demands ever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

"Data extortionists who stole up to 1 terabyte of data from Nvidia have delivered one of the most unusual ultimatums ever in the annals of cybercrime: allow Nvidia's graphics cards to mine cryptocurrencies faster or face the imminent release of the company's crown-jewel source code."

"We decided to help mining and gaming community," Lapsus$ members wrote in broken English. "We want nvidia to push an update for all 30 series firmware that remove every lhr limitations otherwise we will leak hw folder. If they remove the lhr we will forget about hw folder (it's a big folder). We both know lhr impact mining and gaming."

philip-j-fry-internet-meme-bender-facepalm-meme.jpg

I can only imagine the prices of LHR cards skyrocketing and the overall hashrate flying up if this gets leaked/released.

how the heck will removing LHR help gamers...:unsure::unsure:

I'm going out on a limb and saying

A) These guys assume mining performance = gaming performance, possibly due to AMD dropping the ball with the 6500s

Or

B) The much more likely reason, they're hoping everyone else assumes mining performance = gaming performance and hope to get people on their side.

I remember some youtuber saying that LHR cards don't perform as good as nonLHR. I don't remember if it was FPS, heat or wattage used.

But it only takes one stray comment from someone with influence (even minor) to start a chain of mistruths.

"The stolen Samsung data is reportedly 190 GB in size containing the source code for Trusted Applets, bootloader, and account authentication in addition to biometric unlock algorithms and confidential source code from Qualcomm. This breach could have serious security ramifications for both Samsung & Qualcomm is these claims are substantiated."

These guys are on a roll, what do you think they're gonna demand from Samsung :devilish:

Microsoft now, same group...

Back