• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D1 stepping 1.8a SL6QL. Weirdness if true?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ol' man

I have a couple of i865 mobo's laying around so I went and got a 1.8a locally but online they can be had for $110. Anyway I popped the thing in my IS7 and it hit 3.3GHz @ default with clock gen. I think I will leave it at a cool 3GHz though for my Dad. This is pretty good for a CPU that was supposed to be discontinued along time ago. It was a retail box with a pack date of Nov. 3, 2003. FPO says it is a week 37. CPU-Z says it is a D1 stepping but the box says it is a C1 with a SL6QL sspec. Well I don't care what stepping it is it can do 3GHz on default voltages. The IS7 has a 1/5 divider so I don't have to use the fixed setting. Yeah I will leave it at 3GHz if I deam it stable. I won;t up the vcore any though so if it is not stable at this voltage then I will run it at 2.4GHz or 133fsb.

3.3.gif

3.0GHz.gif

OP
ol' man

ol' man

Here is one of my 2.4C's so it must be true.

3.4GHz.jpg

Weird thing is the box says it is a SL6QL which is supposed to be a C1.

Notice the F-2-9. That means it is a D1.

Here is the SL6QL link.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...cFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

Here is a 1.8a D1
http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...cFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

Also the back side had the caps arranged in the same config as a D1 so I would assume it is a D1.

I know you can get these on pricewatch for $110 right now. I guess you have no way of knowing this though if your SL6QL is a D1 or a C1.

OP
ol' man

ol' man

Just did some comparing of my D1 2.4C and my 1.8a. They are identical in cap arrangements.

Front and back of 2.4C.

2.4Cs.jpg

2.4Cbs.jpg

Front and back of 1.8a.

1.8As.jpg

1.8Abs.jpg

Here is a pic of the box so you know what to look for.
SL6QL.gif

OP
ol' man

ol' man

No one has really any input on this one or what? Any one else notice this? I know every one is buying 2.4C's but local retailers here in my area still carry the 1.8A.

$129 here.
http://www.nanosys1.com/gnstest-store/cpu-p478n-1800.html

Pricewatch has them at around $110~$120.

Zipzoomfly has them at $118 shipped.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=1.8A-512

That coupled with a good i865 mobo with some cheap PC2700 would be a decent budget 3GHz setup.

I would bet zipzoomfly(what is with the name) is carrying these steppings.

NiTrO bOiE

Yea, I was looking for these a while back. I always wondered how they would overclock. If it's not stable at 3 Ghz, I would back it down to 150fsb (2700) and run DDR 400.

OP
ol' man

ol' man

Here is what I get. It is a D1 although everything else about it says it is not.

intelid.jpg

OP
ol' man

ol' man

I am running F1-Agr-4-D-E cas2522. I bought generic kingston pc3200 with it. Not bad ram runs as tight as I can at 166fsb. Super_pi @ 3GHz is around 47 sec. It is not stable at anything around 3.4GHz, besides this is for my Dad. 3GHz will be plenty fast in comparison to his(my old) 1.4 PIII-s. I guess I am going to get that one back now too. Maybe I will pop it into my aunt's computer though and snag her 1.3GHz tualatin?

I want it too run a nice round number you know so when/if he talks to people he doesn't have to say my computer is running at 3.14GHz.

I do notice the difference between HT and a non HT system. It sure takes along time to open progs if the system is at 100% load. I am running prime95 and sandy mulimedia both at 50% for 100% load and it took about 20 sec to get even the photoshop splash screen up. On a HT machine it would open immediatly. HT is nice but I am getting so sick of winXP. I wish MS would make a patch in their next sp5 for win2k with HT. winXP to me just is not as stable.

I put my nice copper cooler master on it with a ys-tech 70mm TMD fan. Temps at max load are around 38~43 deg. C. I tried running it with 1.47v but it would fail prime at around 65 deg. C. 1.5v would up that too around 73 deg. C but I found default 1.53v increased its thermal failure limit to ~80+ deg.C. That should be good enough once summer rolls around.

stan03

sorry to be off topic, ol'man why do you have a 2.4C @ 3.2GHz @ 1.28v? lol

OP
ol' man

ol' man

stan03 said:
sorry to be off topic, ol'man why do you have a 2.4C @ 3.2GHz @ 1.28v? lol

Cause I can. Hows that? Same CPU will run @ 2.4GHz on 0.95v. I really don;t get much more of a OC on more voltage so why up it when I can run the fans near silent. I thought it was self explanatory.

Albuquerque

That 1.8A kicks butt! You got two? Wanna sell one in the Fo Sale forum? If so, I'll cruise my happy butt over there and pick one up ;)

My 3.2ghz SL6PC is starting to flake out on me; it's been running absolutely no more than 1.60v for the three months I've owned it, but it's losing stability fast. I backed it down to 3.0ghz for a while, now I'm down to 2.8ghz and it still barfs on occasion.

Gonna just rebuild the entire system from the ground up here shortly; might be fun to pull a "Larva" system with a 1.8A at 3.5ghz on a DCDDR board :)

Krowa 02

Has anyone had any lucky finding these online anywhere yet? Im going to bite the bullet soon and grab one from zipzoomfly and get a IA7. Maybe ill get lucky...