• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D3D or OpenGL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Racoon

Registered
Which API should I use in games? I tried both in various games & they give similar fps so I want the one which gives better image quality. Which API is generally consider to give better image quality?

funnyperson1

whichever looks better to you? :)....actually i like OpenGL because those games seem to feel smoother at the same fps....D3D looks a little bit better though

Anaxagoras1986

I like OpenGL because I always get a tiny delay b/t when I move the mouse or any other control and I see the screen move in Direct3D. Open GL seems to always be much move responsive. Anyone know how to fix this lag problem in Direct3d?

IR1

opengl

IMO I like openGL I have never had problems with it. D3D does seem to look better, yet its doesnt seem as smooth like the other people said. If you can choose OpenGl I say do that d3d never seemed to match up.

I used to use a voodoo 3 3000 and it worked very well with glide and openGl and D3D always stunk on it. So I have a bit of a bias there.

MospeadasDark

Depends what the games was built on/optimised for.

OpenGL will always be faster than D3D(not as much MS bloat), but games optimised for D3D will naturally be faster if you had a choice between the two.

LittlePiggie

OC Noob said:
I didn't know you could choose? Where do you find the option at?

usually in the video options of the game. In Tribes 2 it's in the video driver pulldown box...Just some help. :D

JesseFK

Registered
Well for me I like Direct 3D better because it does look better. And I can't tell a difference in smoothness or responsivness. So I go direct 3D when ever I can.

o770

i prefer D3D, but some games will benefit better from OGL in the case they have the support for more 3d video resources. for example jaques villeneuve's racing vision, using OGL you can enable motion blur and dynamic car shadows while under d3d both options are unavailable.

o770

btw, i beleive that the newer drivers of the video cards are all better optimized to d3d instead of OGL.

hyperion

I prefer OpenGL for its smoothness, both in gameplay and rendering quality. Other than that, OpenGL is open source and platform independant..very important for those of us not running Windows.

ninthebin

all them peeps saying pro ogl - your not basing that on hl are you? cos thats definetly gonna see better results...

the majority of my games dont even give the option for opengl - so d3d is the set thing around here

Zuck Gou :)

ninthebin said:
all them peeps saying pro ogl - your not basing that on hl are you? cos thats definetly gonna see better results...

the majority of my games dont even give the option for opengl - so d3d is the set thing around here

Yeah, D3D is used more. Unless its an id game, than its usually OpenGl.

Personally I like OpenGL better.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I like OpenGL mainly because I've found that my cards can display it faster (even though D3D is still fast enough usually). If I had a choice though, I usually go with the one that will let me have the most image quality options :D

JigPu