• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D5 Top Performance Comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinnee

WB, pump & rad molester
Alright, here is what you have all been waiting for...I'm not going to muck all this up with details, you can find the full write-up on my site, skinnee labs D5 Top comparison.

A look at the contenders.

D5_Tops.jpg

Test Methodology

The pump testing loop is a completely separate loop on the test bench. The pump test loop is comprised of a custom built half gallon PVC reservoir, and gate valve for controlling flow. Bitspower 1/2" High-Flow fittings were used for consistency across all D5 pump top tests. I use an assortment of measurement tools for pump testing, here is the list.

• Power: Mastech HY3005D (0-30V, 0-5A) Variable DC Power Supply
  • Volt/Amp Measurement: Fluke 23 Series II Digital Multimeter
  • Flow: King Instruments 7520 Rotameter, 0.5-5 GPM, 10" Scale
  • Flow Control: 3/4" Inlet-Outlet Gate Valve.
  • Pressure: Dwyer 490-3 Hydronic (Wet/Wet) Digital Manometer 0.00-50.00 PSI

For each configuration tested, the loop was bled and ran for 20 minutes prior to measurements taken. After 20 minutes, power to the pump was shutoff, and the Manometer was reset to zero PSI. This step ensures a proper measurement of the total dynamic pressure for the pump is recorded. Voltage is adjusted to 12.00 volts in order to achieve a constant voltage across all tests, voltage was verified prior to the 2 minute runtime and verified before measurements were recorded. Also to eliminate and pressure variation, each flow setting was , given a 2 minute runtime before measurements were recorded. For each flow setting the PSI, Voltage and Amperage are recorded.

Test Results

D5-5_PerfChart.jpg

D5-4_PerfChart.jpg

D5-3_PerfChart.jpg

D5-2_PerfChart.jpg

D5-1_PerfChart.jpg

And there you have it, all the compiled data. Thanks for reading! 🆙

Looks like the Detroit and the EK are pretty much dead even across the board. From the looks of both, it's not hard to understand why. Guess it comes down to price and availability. Good work as usualy Skinnee.

Axis

Really great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to do research then share it with the rest of us. This is the kind of stuff people need to help educate them!!

Thanks a ton!! :)

i can't remember where i saw it and can't seem to find it on google but i saw there was a D5 top from feser that had a res built in. it had various options for barbs (8 ports or so) and looks like a good idea if it could at the very least perform as good as stock.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I appreciate it!

i can't remember where i saw it and can't seem to find it on google but i saw there was a D5 top from feser that had a res built in. it had various options for barbs (8 ports or so) and looks like a good idea if it could at the very least perform as good as stock.

Primochill T5 IIRC.

The res-pump combo just hasn't made it into production yet. I have been told "soon" since Decemeber. :bang head

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I appreciate it!

Primochill T5 IIRC.

The res-pump combo just hasn't made it into production yet. I have been told "soon" since Decemeber. :bang head

good work skinnee..

that primochill res/top looks interesting. anxious to see some figures on it..

Back