• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DAC for Headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
D1 should do you well. Invest in some good cans while you're at it :p

Already have a Sennheiser PC350SE.
My main need for this is so that I can have multiple outputs from the computer anyway. Onboard actually drives that headset very well.

Not sure what motherboard you are using to drive the Sennheiser's but my asrock z97e/itx board doesnt give me near enough volume. but I like it loud when I am listening. All headphones are that way for me though

Not sure what motherboard you are using to drive the Sennheiser's but my asrock z97e/itx board doesnt give me near enough volume. but I like it loud when I am listening. All headphones are that way for me though

That's the board I'm using.
Does fine for me, which port are you using?

Already have a Sennheiser PC350SE.
My main need for this is so that I can have multiple outputs from the computer anyway. Onboard actually drives that headset very well.

Invest in some good cans while youre at it :D

I jest but investing in some higher end can's can definitely open the world of audiphilia to you. Gaming headsets (regardless of the company) typically lack a good audio focus in my travels.

I was wondering if I have a dedicated soundcard will a DAC improve my sound quality ??
Some claimed that a soundcard is a DAC.....

What output will you be using for your audio equipment? I'm assuming Optical or USB since you're asking about a DAC.
A dedicated sound card won't make any difference if using Optical or USB.

I was wondering if I have a dedicated soundcard will a DAC improve my sound quality ??
Some claimed that a soundcard is a DAC.....

Another point to consider, is what headphones will you be using? A sub $100 set of headphones won't make much of a difference imo. if using usb, or optical, as ATM mentioned, forget about it. I have a relatively high end setup, Asus STX->Little Dot MK III (with Tung-Sol tubes)-ZMF Classic headphones.

What output will you be using for your audio equipment? I'm assuming Optical or USB since you're asking about a DAC.
A dedicated sound card won't make any difference if using Optical or USB.

Another point to consider, is what headphones will you be using? A sub $100 set of headphones won't make much of a difference imo. if using usb, or optical, as ATM mentioned, forget about it. I have a relatively high end setup, Asus STX->Little Dot MK III (with Tung-Sol tubes)-ZMF Classic headphones.

Nothing special ATM , just my speakers. But it's a 2.1 speaker. Logitech Z523
It's just my curiosity.

Headphone wise....if I were to get one, maybe something high end I guess, like least Sennheiser HD 8 DJ / Urbanite / Momentum / G4ME Zero these kind of headphones.
I've recently tried the Philip Fidelio x2 and my response was just...WAO..never had such expectations from Philips :eek:

Let's say if it's Speakers will there be any difference? 2.1 setup ones. Nothing fancy. I can't afford those high end individual ones.
Maybe higher end one in future like Logitech Z623 or do you guys have some good speakers to recommend ??

Don't waste your money, those speakers aren't nearly good enough to notice the difference.
You'd need a set that isn't a canned system to notice the change.

Think Klipsch, Polk, etc where you buy each speaker, you buy your amp, and do all you own configuration.

Don't waste your money, those speakers aren't nearly good enough to notice the difference.
You'd need a set that isn't a canned system to notice the change.

Think Klipsch, Polk, etc where you buy each speaker, you buy your amp, and do all you own configuration.

Yup those will be way over my budget. Though I understand what you meant, I myself had experienced them before. But it's just not something I will take it seriously, I enjoy music but not to such extend of spending such money.
But it's always good to know more. In that's the case almost any 2.1 speakers are good enough for gaming huh?
One thing I notice though no matter how great your headphones are, if your listening to Metal like me there aren't much of a difference of course they are better than any cheap 50$ headphones. But somewhere around 200$ it kinda stopped there. Or maybe I had used the wrong ones to listen to them? I don't own them, I only tested it at a headphone store. But when I used them to listen to those like classical musics, you know those with woodwind / string instruments ( violins , oboe etc basically like orchestra music ) it sounded AMAZING :eek:

What headphones you choose will change based on what your listening habits are.
Some have better highs, some have better lows, etc.

It's also possible that the high dollar headphones were high impedance and they didn't have enough amp to drive them properly.

If you are a metal head, I would immediately aim you to check out Grados.

If you are a metal head, I would immediately aim you to check out Grados.

Many did recommend Grados , maybe If I have the chance I will give it a try.
Now only the matter of getting the right player , amp and the music file to it to test it =(
I mean the store does have the amp , headphone but they usually use DAP for us to test, are DAP good enough ?
I mean something like this DAP > AMP / DAC > Headphone > My Ears.

Many did recommend Grados , maybe If I have the chance I will give it a try.
Now only the matter of getting the right player , amp and the music file to it to test it =(
I mean the store does have the amp , headphone but they usually use DAP for us to test, are DAP good enough ?
I mean something like this DAP > AMP / DAC > Headphone > My Ears.

Regardless of your music choices, the quality of the files matters greatly. With "good" headphones, lower bit rate audio files will sound poorly. You will be able to tell the difference in audio quality between .mps files and .flac files. My personal choice is for neutral sounding headphones, with no eq settings. imo, you get to listen to the music the way the artist intended it sound.

Regardless of your music choices, the quality of the files matters greatly. With "good" headphones, lower bit rate audio files will sound poorly. You will be able to tell the difference in audio quality between .mps files and .flac files. My personal choice is for neutral sounding headphones, with no eq settings. imo, you get to listen to the music the way the artist intended it sound.

Are the music files that's bought digitally online / from DVD Lossless Audio format ? Does converting from MP3 to Lossless have any improvement ? For I've heard you can convert them like so....I've never try it before though.
What I know is a Lossless format song could be big as over 200 - 300 MB :eek:
Definitely will need a DAP to store them, it will butt rape almost any MP3 players on the market lol...

Are the music files that's bought digitally online / from DVD Lossless Audio format ? Does converting from MP3 to Lossless have any improvement ? For I've heard you can convert them like so....I've never try it before though.
What I know is a Lossless format song could be big as over 200 - 300 MB :eek:
Definitely will need a DAP to store them, it will butt rape almost any MP3 players on the market lol...

If you convert from .mps to a lossless format, it will not improve the audio quality. The .mp3 format basically causes the loss of data, so upsampling it to a lossless format will not recover that data. You won't often find a single song that is 200 to 300 megs. If I am mobile, i keep my music on my phone, I have a 64 gig card, and all of my music is in a lossless format. The vast majority of albums are well under 1 gig.

MP3 can be converted to FLAC or another lossless format , but you'll only get a good copy of a lousy format. Once the information is gone , it's gone. MP3 is awful for decent quality audio.

MP3 can be converted to FLAC or another lossless format , but you'll only get a good copy of a lousy format. Once the information is gone , it's gone. MP3 is awful for decent quality audio.

Firstly I must come clean , honestly I never really buy any music CD before lol.....so what format does they usually come in , isn't it MP3 ?
Same goes for Digital ones bought online like on iTune or Amazon.
Though surprisingly you can buy them individual !! Reason being why I don't buy CD because in some cases maybe only one song of the entire album I only actually like one song....it's cheap based on USD / EURO for entire album what i've seen some are only 10 USD / Euro or so. But not so if converted to my currency.

Back