• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn internet connection ON OFF! WTF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbird

I have two computers on xp networked, and use a MA314 Netgear router, and Netgear NICS. No wireless connections and my transfer rates between the two are great. When everthing is working I love the set up. Usually after about 2 or 3 days I have to reboot my cable modem and router to get my internet connection to work, I just unplug both, let the cable modem get a good signal and then plug in my router and it works. It just sucks when I'm about to game and nothing works. My connection never goes out while I'm online just when I turn on my computers. I know its not my ISP, so can you guys help me out. I am really new to networks and just follow the instuctions and hoped for the best. Is Netgear crap?

Host machine
xp sp1
p4 abit th7II
Netgear Nic

User machine
xp sp1
p3 abit bx6 r.2
Netgear Nic

i get the same thing with my linksys router and a lucent modem on my dsl... i havent found any solution to it yet.....

i don't if this should help your situation .. try disabling XP native firewall protection, it might interfere w/ your connection sometimes ..

my problem is almost the same as yours but instead i have to go to winipcfg and press release and renew when my connection goes off...dunno why...its been like this for a while...i use a linksys 5 port switch...

I think I have the solution. Go into the device manager for each of your computers. Find your NIC and enter the properties, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." under the power management tab.

Hope this helps.

Back