• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

damn XP activation, stupid microSoft crap.. mumble mumbl... help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

i am trying to activate winXP home from a new install and it wont let me, it say i have used the max nmber of activations or whatver but i only have one computer with it, i jsut reformatted ym HDD tonight and tried to activat oit and go this error.. will it go away after a while or somtng or what? how do i fix it? do i need to talk to a real person? if so how? i wanna not have to get this fixed at the last minutre so if nee one knwo htis it would be nice:D :eh?: :D damned micro$oft pooo pooo

DDR-PIII

Disabled
sounds like you downloaded this ? and the original owner already registered it therfore you cantnot just buy an original cd :]

OP
CrashOveride

CrashOveride

yes i do have a legit copy i payed the 100 dollars for it =( not sure iif it was worth it yet though =P well i guess ill call MS sometime after school or something, maybe when tehy have realy people. i own it i jsut reintalled it and i want me to activate it now.:( :confused: :( stupid M$

Tycho

MS should have to refund 1/2 the purchase price everytime their farked activation system makes you call them because it has stopped you from installing software you own.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
You should get a real human at almost any hour. I called at 8 o'clock on a Sunday night and I got one. It isn't a big deal. How many times have you reinstalled it? You only get 7 or so registrations before you have to call MS.

Z

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
Yes it does, XP pro has activation. The only version without activation is XP corporate, which none of use here can legally get, so were not going to talk about it. But both of the versions you can buy in a store require activation.

OP
CrashOveride

CrashOveride

ya welli got it acrivated i just called em, put in the huge assedd number wrong oreally fast then talked to a real person and gotit working:D :eh?: :D

nerd4life

not saying i have this or have EVER seen it. but i know someone who knows someone who has a copy of xp from from dell. it has no dell crap on it, just a normal copy of xp pro that you can install and dont have to activate it over the internet. from what i understand it's a demo model that some stores use. not sure.

mbigna

nerd4life said:
not saying i have this or have EVER seen it. but i know someone who knows someone who has a copy of xp from from dell. it has no dell crap on it, just a normal copy of xp pro that you can install and dont have to activate it over the internet. from what i understand it's a demo model that some stores use. not sure.
It is possible that you are talking about an OEM version which doesn't require activation because the O/S is locked to the motherboard. The BIOS reports back a code to the O/S and produces a hash instead of reading all of your hardware components to do so. That version will only work on that specific Dell model.

Mike3597

mbigna said:

It is possible that you are talking about an OEM version which doesn't require activation because the O/S is locked to the motherboard. The BIOS reports back a code to the O/S and produces a hash instead of reading all of your hardware components to do so. That version will only work on that specific Dell model.

My educational version of XP dosn't require activation either

nerd4life

from what i know it can be installed on any computer, dell or not. it's a pro version of xp, but only an upgrade. so you have to install 98 or 2k or me first. that's all i know though.

bldegle2

XP Pro corporate

***Edited By SpeeDj***
XP Pro Corporate's Activation and moreso non-activation is not to be discussed, nor is the crack (WHICH IS ILLEGAL) is to be discussed here. Unless you are a corporate IT person the sheer matter of physically having XP Pro Corporate in your hand is Illegal. *Sigh* Consider this your only warning on this matter.
The following was taken from a site in answer to what defines XP Pro Corporate.

"Windows XP Corporate Professional - a key is provided to the corporation so they don't need to contact Microsoft every time they install the OS on a system. This is handy in situations where there may be multiple installations over a network or frequent re-installations (as in a QA lab). Imagine if you upgraded 1000 machines to XP and had to contact Microsoft for EACH one. It would be a nightmare for all!

Windows XP Professional. - requires a contact with Microsoft to activate the OS. This is used in small business type situations where one contact will be made and (supposedly) never again."
Corporate has NEVER been made available for public consumption, nor most likely will it ever. This discussion is closed.

SpeeDj - Forum Moderator
CC: Overclockers Staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
nerd4life said:
from what i know it can be installed on any computer, dell or not. it's a pro version of xp, but only an upgrade. so you have to install 98 or 2k or me first. that's all i know though.

you don't have to install 98 or 2k first, you can do a clean install of the upgrade version.