• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Danger Den Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fatticus

Fatticus
Registered

Danger Den setup
i just built a danger den loop it was my first build. I got a cpu block and a chipset block. when i removed the chipset heat sink i noticed my chipset water block would not fit unless i shave the edegs down so i instaled the cpu block for now untill i get the other cut down. there was a gross yellow thermal paste there that i couldnt get all off when i tried to re apply artic silver again to put the sink back on. now that i have my cpu cooled, i cant over clock a smidge with out my pc crashing. cpu at stock speeds and volts is idle 40c and prime 95 1 hour 51c. that seems high for liquid cooling no? mind you my radiator has no fans on it yet. but the radiator isnt hot anywho.
do you think my chipset is crashing ? or is my loop just crap,

loop goes from the pump to the cpu, to the radiator, then the reservoir and back to the pump ?

anyway, i think that i cant over clock because the chipset is overheating and that the cpu is running warm under LC because i did apply thermal paste correctly or my loop sucks..? any thoughs ?

You didn't clean all the old paste off the CPU or any block? Thats RULE one for air or watercooling.

Your chipset isn't right probably. You have any before overclock temps with the standard accepted programs and the same temps after?

Your loop order is fine. Is your pump working? You have fans on the radiator? In fact we no nothing about your rig.

Please, for us to help we ned lots more info.

Go back to stock settings on the Mobo and see if it will even run.

The surfaces NEED to be spotless, the contact from block to chip needs to be perfect. It's up to you.

More info.

Rad? CPU block? Mobo? Pump? CPU? Ambient temps? Fans your using?

Looks like you built a WC setup with no actual knowledge of what WC is or how involved it is, sorry.

see the thread you copied this from for my response...the one in the main cooling section.

Setup
MC-TDX for Intel I7/Nehalem/1366
MPC-X38/X48/X58
DD12V-D5 Pump Fixed Speed by Laing
Stealth GTS 360 Black Ice
Feser One - UV BLUE - F1 - Coolant
5 XSPC 5.25" Bay Reservoir

hardware-
intel i7 930
asus p6t se
mushkin redline 16000
corsair 850wat psu
2x sapphire 5850

im getting fans today for the rad, after school i am going to try re applying the chipset heatsink, but how hard can i push on the chipset ? the yellow **** on there wont come off unless i really scrub on it. i dont really have temps to compare becuse i was running at 4.0Ghz before at around 80c load and 50idle, now at stock settings im about 30c idle and 56c load. what is liquid cooling then? is there a article on the forums that tells me what it is.

Use some 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean the nasty yellow stuff off. If that doesn't work, get some goof off (acetone) then after getting the yellow crap off wipe with the alcohol. Once you've done that, apply some thermal interface material and reinstall the nb heatsink.

The waterblock you have is not the best for cooling, to be frank. It didn't work well for me on LGA775 quads or an AM2+ 940BE. Don't expect amazing temps from the MC-TDX as it's about 3-4 generations behind in waterblock design compared to the leaders in cooling. And this is from experience, not hearsay unfortunately. :( And you will have to have fans on that rad or you will overheat in short order.

the mc tdx should still be better than air though no ? or did i just waste my money lol and im going to re apply the heatsink and get all the yellow off after school, im going to have to drain the liquid out so its kinda a pain in the but., i tried to scrape it all off but there was a little left. I also added some arctic silver.

should be better than air but by no means is ideal...make sure you get the stock stuff off. You cleaned the cpu, right?

What fans are you getting? If it's something local you're probably not gonna find anything good...not for watercooling at least.

well what kind of fans would you suggest for water cooling? i was just going to pick up 3 120mm fans ? and yes i cleaned the cpu off lol

well, on that rad you'll need something high speed since it's 30fpi...ultra kazes would do methinks, but I'm doubtful you're looking for a high noise solution...which is what that rad is designed for.

I would suggest some Panaflo L1BX or M1BX fans with that BI Stealth rad. Those are 120 X 38 mm fans that have good static pressure for their noise factor and aren't too expensive. The L1BX models are quieter but probably won't give as good a performance as the M1BX fans. The Ultra Kaze fans fans also might do well but I have no experience with them; I usually buy either Panaflo or Sanyo Denki in the 120 X 38 mm fan bracket for their much better bearing packages.

Why would any one want a loud solution to cooling? and damn, this is harder than i thought. Im just going to keep everything stock untill i get my chipset block on and the proper fans on my radiator.... any suggestions to a good cpu block ? i heard danger den was the bees knees.

ps. thanks for all the info so far this is great, i wish i had the knowledge you guys had aha....

Why would any one want a loud solution to cooling? and damn, this is harder than i thought. Im just going to keep everything stock untill i get my chipset block on and the proper fans on my radiator.... any suggestions to a good cpu block ? i heard danger den was the bees knees.

ps. thanks for all the info so far this is great, i wish i had the knowledge you guys had aha....

We don't have knowledge, we just been at it a long time (some more than others) and since we always discuss and hang out, we have, ummmm Experiance. Knowledge comes from that.

We'll get ya going, your new as we were once.:thup:

Might want to read these and fav/bookmark them.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Last edited:
have you seen our sticky and skinneelabs.com? If not, start reading the sticky and when you finish it (all of it) head to skinneelabs and go get your data. You'll have a much better idea of what you're doing from there.

also, you'd want loud fans for better performance (more rpm = more speed = more performance...generally speaking). Don't know who you heard that DD was the best from, but there are plenty of wb makers and they all trade blows...right now EK is on top with the supreme HF (at least as far as cpu blocks go...DD makes some great gfx blocks)

I thought the main cleaning component of Goof Off was xylene, one of the strongest solvents available? It's been a while since I took organic chemistry :) Anyway, goof off will remove almost any thermal pad/compound/grease. Follow up with rubbing alcohol, 50-91%.

I have a DD cpu block too, don't feel too bad about it. I still get decent temps, but it will be replaced in a couple months.

Back