• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Danger of condensation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuda

I have nearly finished my latest cooling mod and am ready to go back to the water setup. The only question I have is whether I should be concerned about condensation. Here is the deal:

I am moving my rad to the unheated crawl space below my house. It gets very cold there and is exposed to outside air. Should I worry about condensation if the outside temps are down to -10ºC or colder? For some reason, I think I should. I am also considering moving my reservoir down there too.

What precautions should I take?

Also, is it feasible to use the braided steel water lines, like you would use to connect a sink faucet, to connect to the w/b? Or are they too restrictive?

snvpa

as long as the internal diameter dimensions are the same the braided steel won't be restrictive at all, and yes you should definately worry about condensation. di-electric grease in the socket and neoprene foam on the back of your mobo would be a good start. Proper insulation is an often overlooked and very importand topic. Id ask more about condensation prevention in the extreme cooling section as you'll get a better responser there.

OP
Cuda

Cuda

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I will go to the extreme section and do some more questioning. I have not had the chance to measure the ID of the steel braided cable yet. I think it is smaller though. I just happen to see it in the hardware store today and the o/c'er inside me said...hey...that would look cool in my case!...you know how it is :)

chkptcharlie

i'm not sure where you live but do take into consideration that the temperature under the crawl space more than likely wont get to -10. the heat grom the ground and heat/shade from your house should keep it rather cool in the summer, and fairly warm in the winter.
in a situation like yours, i'd insulate it well.
the insulation would not remove heating of your water as it intered your house. but would remove your condensation woes.

OP
Cuda

Cuda

chkptcharlie said:
i'm not sure where you live but do take into consideration that the temperature under the crawl space more than likely wont get to -10. the heat grom the ground and heat/shade from your house should keep it rather cool in the summer, and fairly warm in the winter.
in a situation like yours, i'd insulate it well.
the insulation would not remove heating of your water as it intered your house. but would remove your condensation woes.

Actually, I live in a mobile home in the northern panhandle of West Virginia. The skirting is uninsulated and damaged in many places. The temp under the house matches the outside temp very closely. If outside temps reach -10º the temps under the house will go to -8ºC easily. If the wind is blowing, which it usually does on this mountain top, temps under the house will reach ambient outside temps.

OP
Cuda

Cuda

E-Licious said:
What's the total height of the system? Will you get enough flow?

Total height from rad to cpu will be less than 2 feet. My rig sets on the floor directly above where the rad will go. I have a mag 5 pump which should be able to keep the water flowing nicely :)

E-Licious

Cuda said:

Total height from rad to cpu will be less than 2 feet. My rig sets on the floor directly above where the rad will go. I have a mag 5 pump which should be able to keep the water flowing nicely :)

OIC. I was picturing your computer 1 or 2 floors above the radiator. My bad. :p

OP
Cuda

Cuda

E-Licious said:

OIC. I was picturing your computer 1 or 2 floors above the radiator. My bad. :p

Nope, the rad will be right under my rig, which sits on the floor. I plan on protecting against condensation. I have not yet received an answer either way, so I prefer to err on the side of caution. Dielectric spray on the socket/mobo and insulation on the tubing.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Any time the water is colder than ambient, you run the high risk of condensation. It also depends on the humidity levels, but it is safe to assume if the water is colder than the air at the computer, you will have condensation so just prepare.

E-Licious

nikhsub1 said:
Any time the water is colder than ambient, you run the high risk of condensation. It also depends on the humidity levels, but it is safe to assume if the water is colder than the air at the computer, you will have condensation so just prepare.

How much of a risk is there for people who run external WC setups? The ambient inside the case is probably a little higher than outside. And a nice radiator setup will get the water near ambient of outside. Will this small difference be of any risk?