• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DangerDen (Laing) D4 pump review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is one more thing to it also is the fact all pumps of the same model dont act exactly the same. I have heard many complain about the noise of the MCP600 and since I got mine I have had to touch it to see if it is running since I cant hear any sound from it. Also Cathars has the 3/4" barbs on the housing and that could make a difference also.

Could someone explain what this means from that review article?

"If you are running 7 feet of tubing, and your pump’s "shut off" head pressure is 6 feet, you most likely won’t be moving any water"

Haa haa what so if I have 7 feet of tubing that is horizontal I would not have any water flowing out of it. It think what they meant is if you have 7 feet of water column of "resistance" that you would not have any flow.

Wow - I like how I'm getting ribbed for something I never said.

I never said that the Laing D4 was as loud as a 60mm delta screamer. I did say that it had pitch reminscent of a delta screamer, but was as loud as an 80mm case fan. So not loud, but noticable with an annoying sound to it.

That's all I ever said. I even backed it up with a few (admittedly not terrific quality) sound-bytes of the pump and various fans one after the other.

If anyone cares to read what I actually wrote in detail, and the degree to which I spent reviewing both the Laing D4, and the MCP600, then may do so for themselves by viewing these threads at OCAU:

Laing D4 - starts half-way through the originating thread
Laing D4 Sound-bytes - here at OC.com forums
MCP600

I found a number of discrepencies and bonuses for both pumps aside from what you can gather from manufacturer's documents.

I use 2 x Laing D4 pump in series in my test setup. I love the amount of power and flow that these things push, but I can't deny that the whining sound isn't annoying at >10v, and I have the two pumps sitting inside an MDF box.

I use the MCP600 in my full-time work system. Inside a closed case I can't hear it at all.

[Edit: Fix MCP600 review link]

Last edited:
Yes I am getting old and my memory isnt what it should be. Here is the quote I was refering to.
Edit: I should add that this performance does come at a cost - and that is noise. At 12V the pump is about the same pitch/volume as a ~4000RPM 60mm fan. At 16V, more like a ~5000RPM 60mm fan, and at 20V I reckon you'd be remembering the bad old days of screaming delta 60mm fans.
Last edited by Cathar : 02-10-2004 at 04:11 AM.

Hehe its about time you came on here and defended yourself. Here I thought I was going to have to do it by myself.

Giblet Plus! said:
I don't think that is true at all.

I'm a keen observer, frequent many forums and did lots of research prior to jumping into water. Couple that with not having a reason to lie and you have a person who sees the situation clearly. More often than not, as I said, long-time, knowlegable water coolers come off as abrupt and arrogant. When they do decide to offer advice, it usually echos what they themselves have chosen and almost never include anything new.

What gives me the right to judge? I'm a network support tech. MCSE, N+, A+ and as soon as I can get off my butt, L+. I've haven't been without a computer in my house for over 20-years. I deal with people wanting information and support everyday, from line workers to VP's and presidents. If I couldn't offer quick, concise, complete and up-to-date advice, I'd be out of a job. Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't figure out why internet can't be the same way. At least to a much higher degree than it is.

Having said this, and without you offering anything other than terse dissent, we're all allowed our opinions, right?

Giblet Plus! said:
I don't think that is true at all.

I agree with you.

cathar has a 2xD4 setup, and heatercores cooled by a blower. I remember back before the torin, no one really used a blower, though I'm pretty sure cathar did.

The old guys aren't closeminded, it's just that chances are they've already tried something similar, and it didn't work.

or have tired of the very same 'discussions' over and over

audible noise is just that
to some a 'bit of noise' is not objectionable;
to others in the pursuit of silence (all my personal computers), any increase from any source is not tolerated

stay tuned, Laing info coming in several weeks

be cool

Quote Greenman100:
"The old guys aren't closeminded, it's just that chances are they've already tried something similar, and it didn't work"

I fully agree

With experience comes true innovation. -Otherwise youre just gonna spend half your time experimenting with things that have already been tryed (by the "old guys") and adapted upon. MAybe with a lucky guess will you revolutionize something, but dont count on it buddy !!
If you know many things, long "forgotten", like the "old guys" do, you wont make the mistakes twice, but instead will be building upon the positive aspects of your experiments,
thus creating the perfect block/setup.

Isnt that how the Cascade and WhiteWater came to be?? Dont they kick ***??!!
-SenC.

one's time would be better spent leanring from others i.e. single pass heatercores, blowers, fluid dynamics, and learning myths vs. facts

I'll puke the next time I see someone say water in a closed circuit has to slow down to absorb heat

ugh

BillA said:
audible noise is just that
to some a 'bit of noise' is not objectionable;
to others in the pursuit of silence (all my personal computers), any increase from any source is not tolerated
Amen to that. We're spending lots of money to sometimes remove one fan or another noise source from the system. So losing that by adding a different source of noise is out of question.

greenman100 said:
I'll puke the next time I see someone say water in a closed circuit has to slow down to absorb heat

ugh
Well this is what makes people think that old timers are "arrogant".. I'd be more inclined to *educate* people so they know as much as "old timers", so they can add their fresh ideas to the mix without being misguided.
PS: i also get hot blooded when i see "common knowledge" mistakes.. But i try hard to become more "diplomatic" ;) Maybe a sticky FAQ on water flow and heat transfer would be a good thing...

SureFoot said:
Well this is what makes people think that old timers are "arrogant".. I'd be more inclined to *educate* people so they know as much as "old timers", so they can add their fresh ideas to the mix without being misguided.
PS: i also get hot blooded when i see "common knowledge" mistakes.. But i try hard to become more "diplomatic" ;) Maybe a sticky FAQ on water flow and heat transfer would be a good thing...

I'm only harsh about it because the slowing down to absorb heat is covered in the stickies

SureFoot said:

You know, it does get a little tiring after a while though when you repeat yourself again, and again, and again, usually with a lot of scientific evidence to back it up, you then arrange for it to be put into a sticky so that people can read and educate themselves, and then two weeks later someone comes along again and says the same wrong thing, and then nobody else seems to step in and correct them.

There seems to be a very small core of dedicated individuals who take it upon themselves to help educate the masses, and it's done freely and willingly, but when you often get attacked by the ignorant for daring to suggest that maybe they've gotten it wrong, one does tend to develop a Rhinocerous approach after a while - grow a thick skin and start going on a trampling rampage.

Heck, I'm seriously considering making one of these to deal with the next person who says that aluminium dissipates heat into the air better than copper, or that gold is a better conducter of heat than copper or silver, or says that water has to slow down to pick up/get rid of heat! :bang head

I think i will end up getting a D4 pump also, if i can find any place sides DD that sells one. There have to be other resellers for that darn pump in the US somewhere.

Back