• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dangerous to overclock gpu memory to high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unilx

Registered
Is it dangerous to overclock gpu memory to high? My 1080 SC is at: core +150 @ 2151.5mhz, mem + 800 @ 11605mhz stable. I want to take the memory higher but I'm not sure if it will damage my card. My temps are 45c under full load with a evga hybrid cooler.

Last edited:
It will not damage it, no.

That said, you likely don't have much to go... I'd leave it as is.

Thanks, i just wanted to make sure i wouldn't damage it. i just took the mem up to +1000, it seems to be stable, no artifacts. I know i should stop here but i don't think the overclocker in me will allow it.

What kind of FPS are you seeing from FS runs with the memory that high? Check it....+1000, then check +850, then +855....if you're still convinced after you run those memory clocks, and that it's "stable", then more power to ya.

This is what mine runs with the memory at +850.

3ng0LkT.png

At +900 it drops 10fps. At +800, it drops 5 fps. There's a magic place in there, where the memory doesn't crash or cause problems, but it's certainly not working the way it should. It makes some magical, awesome scores once in while, but....it's buggy. This is what I was talking about with my post. Sure, I could push the memory that high, know it's buggin out like crazy, take that score and feel all mighty, but.....I know better. I know memory clocks don't scale like that.

Just my two copper.

Back