• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dangers of Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZeroAquaduct

I'm a newbie at overclocking. If I do overclock, what are my chances that I'll permanently damage my other hardware, e.g., HD, CD-R drive, etc.? Extra speed would be nice, but I don't want to sacrifice stability or my other hardware to get a little bit of added performance. Thanks!

hiroXP said:
I'm a newbie at overclocking. If I do overclock, what are my chances that I'll permanently damage my other hardware, e.g., HD, CD-R drive, etc.? Extra speed would be nice, but I don't want to sacrifice stability or my other hardware to get a little bit of added performance. Thanks!

You have a 99% chance of damaging something in your system if you overclock it... but of course the damage done is a matter of opinion and not permenant (usually). Long term/permenant damage will happen if you overheat or fry something by pushing it TOO hard. As far as stability being deminished from speed.. this is always the case... thats why tweaking and cooling is a MUST. Good luck and happy overclocking bro.

i asked this question once myself long ago, you can damage things but unless your trying to like double your chip speed you'll be fine, just remember its all about cooling so make sure you have good cooling, the newer intel and amd chips are pretty hard to fry from overheating because the motherboards shut them usually, but it is possible, chances are you'll be fine, and if the computer wont boot , then tune it down, good luck and tell us how it turns out!

Thanks for the replies. I don't have the specs yet Thermal, I'm actually still in the process of buying a new PC. I'm not sure whether I should buy a faster processor and forget about overclocking, or get a slower processor and overclock.

If your into the whole overclocking thing....go w/ AMD...find a friend to unlock it if needed.....learn before you do it.
I'm from the old school of OC'n.....it's more of a way of life than anything.....& because we can!:D

Your decision most likely will hinge on how much you are willing to spend, and your sense of adventure. Obviously the seed is planted, or you wouldn't be here.

Back