• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

data migration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nobluo

what software can i use to migrate data from one computer to another?

suppose i have 2 computers. one is old with lots of installed programs and settings (outlook, bookmarks, program settings, etc) and the other pc is newer. i need to transfer everything from the old pc to the new pc. what program can i buy that will do that for me? or does windows have a built-in program for that?

-windows xp is my os (but also for vista and windows 7)

A15G

You can do it through your internet connection. Just join the homegroup of the other computer and share the destination. Or get an external.

OP
N

nobluo

if a program is already installed how do i migrate this to another computer that does not have these programs installed? how do i do this via the network? (assuming ive already established both pc's to the same network)

TempliNocturnus

You're probably out of luck migrating installed programs, but you can use XP's built-in Backup and Restore Wizard, or vista's/win7's Windows Easy Transfer, to back up all the application settings and data in your profile. Both utilities can be found under Accessories > System Tools, and the Windows Easy Transfer application is backwards compatible with XP.