• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Data recovery Assistance needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ottoman

well a family friend of ours is a partime author,

he has an old pII 233 with windows first edition bogged to hell never been updated and hasn't been re-installed in years...

well it was a timebomb waiting to go off... and it did :/

now i've got the task of reinstalling the windows and crap...

I thuoght no biggie, dump everything on my drive and then format install 98se then dump everything back..

here's the problem, Some how there's only one folder on the drive now :\windows and then a couple text files like scandisk log and stuff...

my documents, programfiles and ALL the other folder are gone :eek:

a.) wtf happend,
b.) is there any recovry software that can help?

the way it crashed was this:
modem wasn't working properly, and i rebooted into safe mode, well it was taking forever to load, actually 2x as long as a normal windows boot, when usually it should be much shorter :( so i figured it was frozen, and hit restart, and it hasn't worked since, explorer got corrupt somehow, but i don't understand how all the data just disapeared....

any help or suggestions :(
this guy is waiting for me to fix it all, I told him it wouldn't be difficult and such, but I wasn't expecting a blank drive allova sudden

OP
Ottoman

Ottoman

well i got 1.06

but the problem is that it's dos based... and I have a Raid array, it doesn't see it...

it's the only drives i still have... and i can't tell if it found any lost stuff or not,

p.s. if i use another drive to dump it on, will it wipe the old data on it? cuz I have no blank hdd's, i'd have to pull one from my bro's comp

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
It won't erase anything, unless you choose to delete something. You should be fine unless the other disks is either dynamic or NTFS. The scan takes forever when it searches on boot. If the files are small enough, transfer by FDD is easy.