• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Day Trading monitor and GPU solutions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eyefinity3

Hi... so I have to PC's. One has a cheap GPU that only supports 2 or 3 monitor and the other has a GTX 660 that supports 4 monitors.

I need 6 monitors minimum on the one with the GTX660. So is it possible to get a second GTX660, SLI them and run 6-8? Or do I need to/should go a different route? They don't need to be in the surround mode.

The other PC, I need to run 4 screens on and I was thinking a card like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168141951322 or something with the same capabilities for cheaper, if that exists?
Or I could take the GTX660 and stick it in there and use that firepro for the 2 4K 40''s I mention below.

Basically on the main rig, I've come up with these two options:

6 23.6'' Acer screens = $690
Monitor Arms = $110
extra GPU = $150?
Total: $950

VS

2 40'' 4k's = $1150

Money is fairly tight but the 4k's would be useful in some other area's... it probably depends on what you guys think the complexities of running 6-8 monitors on that PC will be... if a second GTX660 will be ok, ect?

Do you guys have any concerns about the 4K 40''? I've watched the tek syndicate videos on the 42'' ones and they seem to be great. IDK if they have changed at all though with the size difference.

Heres the review of the 42'' version:

Heres the 40'' version I'm looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WASABI-MANG...-DP-Monitor-/111912465075?hash=item1a0e80b2b3

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
You can use pretty much any Gpu that supports the amount of monitors you need. The GTX 660 shouldn't have any issues running 3 monitors off each GTX 660. You also do not need to Sli them it's not going to make a difference for what you're doing. As far as 4k monitors/Tv do you really need such high resolutions? A nice 1080p monitor should serve you just fine. Just to let you know where I'm coming from, I day traded for 18 years and ran 6 22" 1680x1050 monitors off of really low powered Nvidia 7600 gt's.

OP
E

eyefinity3

Good to know on the GTX 660's. I don't need that high of resolutions but for the 40'' size it makes it the equivalent to 4 normal 20'' 1080's. The 40'' would be pretty nice for charting out longer term stuff...

Off topic: are you completely retired from trading?

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Good to know on the GTX 660's. I don't need that high of resolutions but for the 40'' size it makes it the equivalent to 4 normal 20'' 1080's. The 40'' would be pretty nice for charting out longer term stuff...

Off topic: are you completely retired from trading?
Yeah a 40" would be nice but you don't need a 4k, I'm not sure on this but if you were to run 4k you may run into Vram issues at that resolution, considering the 660 only have 2g of Vram.

I decided at walk away from trading about 2 years ago and am in the process of pursuing another passion of mine. I started trading my own money in 95 and looked forward to every single day I did it up until about 2013. It started becoming a job for me and I decided that I didn't love it enough to do it anymore. Luckily I was smart enough with my money to allow myself to walk without any regrets.