• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR Server Memory Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GWXerxes

I have an Asus K8N-DRE Server motherboard that I have been trying to get to work for a few days now and finally decided to post in here. Its rather old and uses DDR ECC Registered Buffered memory. I bought 2GB (8x256) of PC2100 266Mhz Crucial memory for it and much to my surprise the system only recognized half of the memory. I called Asus tech support and after scolding me for using a 7 year old motherboard they told me that the board was built to run PC3200 and then hung up on me. After playing around in the BOIS I set the Memclock mode to Limit and the Memclock value to 266 MHz. When I rebooted all 2GB of ram was recognized. But when I rebooted again only 1GB with a Memory R/W Fail. I checked the settings and rebooted aend it was back to 2GB. To make a long story short this went on for quite some time and the system keeps alternating with each cold boot from 1 to 2 GB of memory detected. My question to the good people of overclockers.com is: What could possibly cause this and if we do fix the alternating then is it still a good idea to use the lower memclock when the board was designed for higher?

System
Motherboard: Asus K8N-DRE
RAM: 2GB 8X256 Crucial DDR ECC Registered Bufferd
Processors: 2x AMD Opteron 2.0 Ghz

Northbridge BOIS Config
Memclock Mode: Limit
Memclock Value: 266 MHz
User Config Mode: Manual
CMD-ADDR Timing Mode: 1T
Burst Length: 4 Beats
HardWare Memory Hole: Disabled
DRAM ECC Enable: Enabled
ECC Chip Kill: Disabled
NUMA Function: Enabled
IOMMU Mode: Disabled

--EDIT--
Using Memtest86 ALL of the memory failed the test. I don't see how that's possible though since the computer was booting. Also any Linux Live CD I use fails to boot

Last edited:
Systems with bad memory can still boot but then fail when the bad sections of memory get allocated. Think of a cup with a hole towards the top. Everything's fine until the water gets to the hole.

Does the RAM have a lifetime warranty? Try an RMA and see if that helps.

Back