• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 1333MHz not working on Gigabyte G41M Combo motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mindfane

I currently have the following setup:

Intel Core2Quad Q9550
Gigabyte G41M-Combo Rev1.4
2 X 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

Yesterday I bought a pair of 4GB DDR3 modules:
Gskill 4 GB DDR3 1333MHz F3-10666CL9S-4GBXL RIPJAWS X

I removed my existing DDR2 modules and connected the new DDR3 modules to the DDR3 slots. But when I turned on the PC i get beep-beeps indicating memory error. I tried putting only one of the DDR3 modules; but the same problem. I tried all possible combinations to no avail.

After a couple of hours, I put back my DDR21 modules and the machine booted without any problems.

According the motherboard's website it should support upto 1333MHz(O.C.) and should downclock to 1066. But for some reason it is not working.

All overclocking related settings in the BIOS are left at defaults

Can someone here help me?

First, is the bios updated to the latest version?
Is there an option in the bios to switch to DDR3 or is it automatic?

I haven't done this personally, so I can't do much more than that...

My other question is, why did you make that change as performance likely will not increase much if at all. If I was you, I would return the sticks and save money for a more substantial upgrade to your PC.

There was only 1 bios ever released.
Because of that and the oddity of the board, I would stick tight to the QVL list.

Thanks for your replies.

First, is the bios updated to the latest version?
Is there an option in the bios to switch to DDR3 or is it automatic?

Yes I have the latest BIOS version. There is no option in BIOS for a switch. It was supposed to happen automatically.

Hello again,

Could you guys tell me what BIOS settings I need to edit inorder to OC the memory to 1333MHz. I have never tried overclocking the RAM before

Back