• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4 3400 (OC) - Do I buy this or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

windygamer

Registered
I'm going to upgrade an old Alienware Area 51 7500 - circa 2006 - with new Skylake internals.

This is the MB I've chosen:

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

It says DDR4 3400 (OC) for memory.

Do I purchase DDR4 3400 if I am not going to Overclock? Or do I buy DDR3200? Price diff is about $40 in the 32GB size I'm considering.

I'm getting a C i7-6700K, but don't intend to overclock it. I'm not psyched to get the 3400 memory if the default settings are going to run it slower unless I go to the trouble of OC. I'm sure this MB has very easy OC support, I'm just not interested in messing with that at this time.

Thanks,
wg

If you wish faster memory then get Trident Z 3200 CL15 ( or CL14 ) as they're in good price and will let for some overclocking if you decide on that.

If you are running things at stock, why are you buying that board in the first place? Grab this (MSI Z170 SLI PLUS) or something like it? Also save some money on the CPU as Alaric said and go 6700.

If you don't want to adjust memory speeds, why are you getting 3400 MHz?? Default for the platform is 2133 Mhz. You will need to turn on XMP profiles in the BIOS to get it to work at that speed.

That said, you have some choices to make. Currently the choices you made with the goals in mind are a bit wasteful with your money.

Back