• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4 memory on X570 for a Non-Gamer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devdeep1

Registered
Need 32Gb for various reasons including video editing, multiple tabs open, future proofing etc. Do not play games and not likely to overclock above the stated memory speed. I plan to get 16Gb x 2.
This will be on 570X MB (Crosshair VIII Hero). Should I go for 3200 or 3600? AMD say 3600 is an ideal spot but for a non-gamer, does this matter (fps etc.). Will I be able to notice the difference between 3200 / 3466 / 3600?

Also, will Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX be good enough or should I consider Gskill modules?

Here in UK, Gskill is almost twice as expensive as Corsair. So, is Gskill a "badge"?

I would get the cheapest 3200 CL16 or 3600 CL18 from the QVL of your motherboard. I don't recommend the latest Vengeance LPX as they're on the cheapest IC available and may cause problems. Vengeance Pro RGB or Dominator RGB kits are on new Hynix and Samsung and should work fine but in reasonable price will be probably only 3200 CL16 which is based on Hynix IC. You can also check stores like caseking.de. They are shipping to other countries and have wider offer. On the other hand overclockers.co.uk have similar offer.
If it's for work mostly then you won't see any special difference between 3200 and 3600. Actually, even in games it's barely visible and 3600 will be better only in some scenarios and even then by single %.

You can also check Ballistix Sport LT 3200 CL16. I have 4x16GB kit and it works great on X570. It of course depends on the motherboard but I doubt there will be any problems on ASUS ROG as these boards have usually the best BIOS.

I would get the cheapest 3200 CL16 or 3600 CL18 from the QVL of your motherboard. I don't recommend the latest Vengeance LPX as they're on the cheapest IC available and may cause problems. Vengeance Pro RGB or Dominator RGB kits are on new Hynix and Samsung and should work fine but in reasonable price will be probably only 3200 CL16 which is based on Hynix IC. You can also check stores like caseking.de. They are shipping to other countries and have wider offer. On the other hand overclockers.co.uk have similar offer.
If it's for work mostly then you won't see any special difference between 3200 and 3600. Actually, even in games it's barely visible and 3600 will be better only in some scenarios and even then by single %.

You can also check Ballistix Sport LT 3200 CL16. I have 4x16GB kit and it works great on X570. It of course depends on the motherboard but I doubt there will be any problems on ASUS ROG as these boards have usually the best BIOS.

Thank you. I guess 3466 will be the same reasoning as well. Is it better to get good 3200 (say C14 / 16) and overclock?

Usually yes but with 3200 CL16 you never know what you get as nearly all manufacturers are using everything in these kits like Samsung, Hynix, Micron, Nanya or even Spectek. Some of these IC won't even run at 3466 CL16 and will need CL17-18 to even boot.
For example looking at fresh QVL, ADATA 3200 CL16 is Hynix or Spectek, Corsair 3200 CL16 too but most are Hynix, Kingston is Hynix or Micron, Crucial is Micron, GSkill is Hynix or Micron ...
3600 16-16-16 or 17-18-18 is Samsung but 3600 CL18 is usually Hynix or Micron. Even GSkill Royal at relaxed timings is Hynix or Micron. Corsair is mixing them. For example Dominator Plat RGB 3600 CL18 is Samsung but Spectek is also on new QVL in Corsair 3600 CL18 kits.

So again, safe Samsung is in 3200 CL14-14-14 or 3600 CL16-16-16/17-18-18 kits (CL17 can be exceptions but so far I haven't seen any other IC). If you get GSkill then for sure it will be Samsung. If you can live with a bit more relaxed timings then Micron E is also good.

Can be a bit complicated but yes, usually it's better to get 3200 CL14-14-14 kit and overclock it as all higher memory kits are using similar IC and only XMP profile is different. On the other hand, since you said it's not for gaming then it won't really matter and I would get something that is guaranteed to work on your motherboard, even at relaxed timings... or maybe higher capacity at lower clock but for Ryzen optimal is 3200-3600.

Noticed on Crosshair VIII memory QVL that a few DDR4 3200 4 x 8Gb modules are mentioned. It is unlikely that I would need more than 32Gb of memory in the future, so, can I opt for 4 sticks rather than 2 - more Ram choices I think.

Back