• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR400: Corsair or Mushkin for an Asus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LogRus

I need to add a new stick of ram to my rig, and I can't decide which one will be better from these two:

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

-OR-

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail
Cas Latency: 2.5-4-4
Support Voltage: 2.6V

My system specs are in the sig, and I will remove that Elexir stick that's in there and exchange with one of those above, because it is really the worst ram I've ever had :( .

I know this ram is cheap, but it just fits my budget since I'm going to upgrade my system with many new components and I need a better car too :D.

Suggestions for any other ram are more then welcome! But please explain why :).

Thanks.
-Logrus

Last edited:
OP
LogRus

LogRus

Anybody?..... I need it asap, since this Elixir so called good ram isn't working.... :(

Thanks in advance.
-Logrus

braze

Registered
Did you check the asus web site? They usually will list manufacturers that they recommend for their motherboards - either ram is fine otherwise

OP
LogRus

LogRus

braze said:
Did you check the asus web site? They usually will list manufacturers that they recommend for their motherboards - either ram is fine otherwise

Well, I'm not just looking at a brand that would be compatible with my system (I already know they are), but I just want to know which one of these two (or maybe some other brand?) is the best, or just better. :).

Thanks for your reply btw, looking forwared to see more!

Don K

Don't hold me up on this, but i know some guys here in DK, who's got bad experiences with the P4P800 and Corsair. It works just fine but that specific combo, reduces their [email protected] but 10 mhz compared to the same memory in a 875-based system.

BUt whether this is a specific Corsair problem, or "just" a P4P800 problem, I don't know!

OP
LogRus

LogRus

Don K said:
Don't hold me up on this, but i know some guys here in DK, who's got bad experiences with the P4P800 and Corsair. It works just fine but that specific combo, reduces their [email protected] but 10 mhz compared to the same memory in a 875-based system.

BUt whether this is a specific Corsair problem, or "just" a P4P800 problem, I don't know!

Oh, I think I even saw something about that in NewEgg's customer reviews. So now Corsair is crossed out, but I'm also now interested in these two sticks:

Geil Value Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM
Cas Latency: 2.5 6-3-3
Support Voltage: 2.55V-2.85V
Special Features: With Extreme Performance Heat Spreader

- AND -

Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail
Cas Latency: 3-3-3
Support Voltage: 2.6V

Which one would perform better?

glasszon

I think kingston valueram is better IF you can go to a store and physically see the chip itself, those micron-6b c revision chips and hynix d43 chips are great for their price.

OP
LogRus

LogRus

glasszon said:
I think kingston valueram is better IF you can go to a store and physically see the chip itself, those micron-6b c revision chips and hynix d43 chips are great for their price.

So that leaves me Mushking and GEIL to choose from since I don't wana be guessing which chips would it have... or?

madman22

smart choice not to get Kingston RAM, i got the value RAM and it stops working at 220mhz, its bad.

i'd probably get the Geil RAM.

sifu quoc

madman22 said:
smart choice not to get Kingston RAM, i got the value RAM and it stops working at 220mhz, its bad.

i'd probably get the Geil RAM.

did you get the "bt-d43" chips though?? cuz everyone seems to love them....

Tatuya

Don't get Geil. I have heard only the worst things about them such as, they OC their chips to their highest potential and then sell them as that. If Kingston or Corsair or Mushkin did that, all BH-5 would be PC-4400. BT-D43 is what Kingston uses in their PC-4000 so if you can, go to BB and check out the RAM. I saw at least 5 pairs of BT-D43 at my local BB. You can also check Costco or Circuit City. If you don't want to do this and want to go with the cheapest solution possible, go with the cheapest stick of the highest PC-xxxx available.