• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

De-Lid Tool and TIM (Ordering Today)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainwater

So I thought I would come to my Trusted Forum here and ask for guidance on a De-Lid tool and the best TIM to use to replace what's under there now. I am out of AS5 as well so IDK if the TIM I use during the Re-Lid is the same I use on the IHS for mount or if I need separate TIM. I am pretty sure I need some sort of Adhesive for the Re-Lid, I have plenty of coffee filters and 90% Alcohol tho I tend to use Alcohol wipes on the IHS because it's easier. But I did notice the other day that it's like 70% on the wipes. I saw the Die Mate 2 and might order that. Looking for something not too expensive that works great and can used many times. As for the TIM I want the best stuff idc the price.

Best stuff would be Liquid Metal but that carries its own risks as it is highly conductive. Pick up some Gelid GC extreme or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and you will be fine. You can use either one both under and on top of the IHS.

SWEET.....THANKS GUYS......I've been keeping her at 4.5 Ghz cuz I can do it with a max vCore of 1.32v under load but at 4.6 I need 1.38v and my temps approach 70c Gaming at 4.6 so I'd like to knock her down 10 if I could i'd be happy. Plus it gives me something to do :D

Ordering Rockit 88. Do I need to get the Re-Lid kit for an additional $8 ? Or just use the adhesive and clamp the mount on and go.

I ust used the hold down in the board. You do need to watch it when clamping since it gives the lid a sideways push. You can eiher start with it off set or loosen the bolt the latch clips under then tighten it after the CPU is in place

Best result with liquid metal, as mentioned by Lochekey, by quite a big margin.

If you use the provided brush, and only apply a tiny layer, not much of a risk of shorting anything.

I dont think there are any electrical components to short out under the kaby cpu's. Not positive as I havent delidded one, but on the haswell and ivy cpu's I just put a piece of scotch tape on those components to keep the liquid metal away.
Almost every cpu that I have delidded has only gained about 5c. I do have a friend that gained 20c

I dont think there are any electrical components to short out under the kaby cpu's. Not positive as I havent delidded one, but on the haswell and ivy cpu's I just put a piece of scotch tape on those components to keep the liquid metal away.
Almost every cpu that I have delidded has only gained about 5c. I do have a friend that gained 20c

On the 3 CPU's I have delidded, I had a drop of 15 to 20c (2x3770k and 4790k).

Agreed on the tape thing, this or nail polish...

Nail polish for the win. I use a nice blue color so that I can easily see if everything is colored.

Oh wow, cool. Thanks everyone, something came up so I've been out of town since Monday. Just finally placed the order today. Got the Rockit 88 and the GC Extreme. Only the TIM was Prime Shipping so the Rockit will be here by Friday or the following Monday. I just watched a video from someone who used the GC-E top/bottom and got a -15c result on a 6700k p95 load temps so I'm excited to see what's gonna happen.

Awesome about the nail polish, I picked up the Re-Lid kit too but I probably won't use it. My Friend is too scared to do his w/out it so I got it. I figure if I'm not too impressed then I'll use LM under the IHS on second try.

Last edited:
Back