• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

De-lidding Skylake Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was hoping for better results from the shim (not the benchmark results). I thought it would give a perfectly flat surface for the heatsink to mount to. If you tighten too much in my experience on haswell you can start to lose the ram. In the fourth picture it looks like the shim is a little convex, is it and could that be an issue? idk but looks fun though!

The bigger problem is by taking the IHS off the socket retainer is higher than the chip, on my naked 4790k I had to remove the retainer and the block is the only thing holding it in

You can remove socket mounting but in my case CPU had problems to boot because of some pressure issues. I got 00 error even though I was putting already a lot of pressure so I had to put back IHS. My motherboard for some reason is sometimes throwing 00 error anyway but not so often. I also noticed that reflashing BIOS is helping in booting issues on my board. I'm not sure how it's related but on ASRock OCF I couldn't boot on 1st BIOS after delidding while on 2nd was working fine. When I reflashed 1st chip then it started to work and there were less 00 errors.

At the end as I mentioned in other thread I see 4-5*C lower temps after delidding i3 6320. It gives me no OC gains. Simply on this CPU it wasn't worth to delid.
Difference between LCP and white ( CP15 ) Cryorig TIM was ~2*C. Simply also not worth to use LCP on this CPU. There is also a chance that my CPU had perfect IHS contact so it couldn't be improved much.

I think for me could be a bad mount. The first attempt I had the spacer centered on the chip but the chip is off center to the block and I think the pressure was off on one side or the other. So I centered the spacer to the WB and I had better luck getting it to boot. So it could just be a bad TIM since I moved things around a bit and didn't re-apply. For me I can live with the temps on water , it's the LN2 pot that I'm really hoping works better. It's just going to be some time before I can test it.

Back