• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead CPU or MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martk1972

Hi,

I was using my PC a couple of days ago, when all of a sudden it switched itself off.
I tried rebooting, but it won't post, but the CPU and the other fans spin. I don't get any beeps, and the front power and HDD leds don't light up. All four LEDs on the D - Bracket light up RED, I removed the CPU and installed it again, to no avail.

I built the PC 18 months ago, never had any serious problems, any ideas?

I stipped the computer down and built the computer up again, same problem. :bang head

I don't understand why the power and HDD LED don't work when the fans do, the wires are the same way they been for last 18 months.

Also before I had this problem I would here a noise when I switched off my computer using the switch on the PSU, now I don't hear it.

I just cleared CMOS to see if that was the problem, no difference, I also removed my 2 dimms of memory and tried booting up, no beeps.

What's most likely to cause the power and HDD LEDs not to light up? CPU or MB?

This is driving me mad :mad:

hafa

You switched your computer off using the rocker switch on the PSU rather than using ATX soft-off? That may be the genesis of the problem...

Try this:

1st, use a digital multimeter to check the voltage levels on your PSU; they should be within 10%; if not, replace the PSU.

2nd, take out any cards except for the video card and remove all connectors except for the power switch and system speaker and see if it will boot. If it will not boot, remove one stick of RAM. If it still will not boot, exchange the sticks. If it still will not boot, remove the video card and see if there are any beeps. If there are beeps, the video card is bad, if not, the motherboard needs to be replaced.

martinjon666

This exact thing happened to me on a chaintech board (I know they suck). i don't know what caused it, probably the mobo, but it burned out my cpu, memory and board. ended up replacing all of that, it actally melted off the teeth from my ram into the ram slots. i'd say if you can get your hands on another board test out that cpu and hope it still works, check your ram in a different comp, run some memtest and see how it does, or if the comp will even post with that ram in there.

OP
M

martk1972

I didn't smell anything, and i don't see any obvious damage to CPU or MB.

I already tested my PSU

12v = 12.06v
5v = 4.96

OP
M

martk1972

hafa said:
2nd, take out any cards except for the video card and remove all connectors except for the power switch and system speaker and see if it will boot. If it will not boot, remove one stick of RAM. If it still will not boot, exchange the sticks. If it still will not boot, remove the video card and see if there are any beeps. If there are beeps, the video card is bad, if not, the motherboard needs to be replaced.

I already tried it with only video card and 1 stick of RAM, still the same.

I'll try without video card and only power and speaker connections.