• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

My friend just got his sytestm up and he decided to turn it on with no HSF its an Epox 8RDA with a thunderbird 1.1 gig and 512 PC2700 buffalo ram. After a few seconds it made a shockign noize and blue stuff came out on it. He sais it didnt feel hot. Just want you guys to confirm that he toasted his proc. Also, will anything else be damaged? And how will newegg respond to this, he ordered the extra 1 year warranty, will they replace it?

hawk072

Registered
:eek: What did your friend expect? He must not be experienced with building PCs. That CPU is fried. An athlon will not last more than a few seconds without a heatsink.

I know newegg shouldn't replace it because it was all your friend's fault and he should have known better. The CPU is not warranted against ignorance. Applying power without a heatsink will kill it just as fast as taking it outside, laying the core on the concrete and stomping on it.

I'd just tell your friend what he did wrong and hope he learns from it. Its a costly mistake but some people just have to learn the hard way.

The board shouldn't be damaged unless the heat burned or melted part of the socket. It should be fine if he turned it off rather quickly.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
hawk072 said:
:eek: What did your friend expect? He must not be experienced with building PCs. That CPU is fried. An athlon will not last more than a few seconds without a heatsink.

I know newegg shouldn't replace it because it was all your friend's fault and he should have known better. The CPU is not warranted against ignorance. Applying power without a heatsink will kill it just as fast as taking it outside, laying the core on the concrete and stomping on it.

I'd just tell your friend what he did wrong and hope he learns from it. Its a costly mistake but some people just have to learn the hard way.

The board shouldn't be damaged unless the heat burned or melted part of the socket. It should be fine if he turned it off rather quickly.

I couldn't have said it better than that myself so I won't even try ;)

srs

I know Tom's hardware isn't the most popular on this board, but they had an article once that showed just how quickly and violently an Athlon will die without a HSF. That's why I have redundant fans in my box and MBM5 running.

BigRed

Caffinated Member
What happened is the magic smoke escaped. The cpu wont work without the smoke anymore :(
Magic Smoke

Computers are made from parts like integrated circuits, transistors, and capacitors. Some of these parts have pretty colors on the outside. They have Magic Smoke on the inside. The Magic Smoke is what makes them work. Wizards that work at companies like Intel and Texas Instruments put the Magic Smoke into the chips.

Mortals must be very careful with their chips. Sometimes, in spite of great care, the Magic Smoke inside the chips comes out. If you ever see a computer with Magic Smoke coming out of it, you know that it will not work any more, because the magic smoke inside the chips is gone.

Never let the Magic Smoke out.

Tantalum capacitors have lots of magic smoke in them. They also whistle and go "Bang" when you solder them in backwards. It's probably not a good idea to breath Magic Smoke.

I once worked on a team of engineers that were trying to become Wizards, and make our own chips. We saw the Magic Smoke come out of many, many chips before we became Wizards.

Our prototype was made from something like 40 Xilinx 3090 FPGAs. These were PLCC's with wide flat tops. We stored the incantations for these FPGA's in serial ROMS. If you didn't say the incantation just so as you turned on power, the Magic Smoke would come out of many FPGAs at once. Sometimes they would blow a small crater or a crack in the top of the chips. These were easy to find and replace. Other times, the Magic Smoke did not escape, but would cause the top of the chip to bulge very, very slightly. For some reason, I was the only one that could feel this bulge. Maybe it was because I believed in Magic Smoke. When a board did not work, I would come over and run my finger tips lightly over the tops of all the chips on the board, then I would point to the ones that were bad. When these were replaced, the board would work again.
http://users.safeaccess.com/engdahl/magic_smoke.htm

;)

OP
Zerileous

Zerileous

I told him as much, and i expected him to knwo what he was doign. he has done upgrades as serious as mobo swaps and such, i guess he just got excited and thought he could pull a fast one. He was going to swap the t-bird with his moms 2000+ plus in a few mins cuz his mom doesnt need the power but he eneded up frying the tbird not the 2000+ which is good. I guess he will have to wait a while longer and be out 30 bux.

LittlePiggie

actually, if he left it on he may have fried the mobo. in the tom's hardware article about it, they stated that the proc will take the mobo out if you leaveon too long. it also doesn't have to melt the socket to kill it.

OP
Zerileous

Zerileous

ya, actually now he sais the blue goo that was "all over the place" is now just the blue stuff that goes around the core (on every chip). Tonight he is going to test a dif proc in the mobo. But he sais it made a poping fizzing noise so who knows what he killed.