• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead EVGA GTX 780

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TuKr

So I got this card because it died in a PC at work. I don't think it was used heavily or for very long at all. We received the system maybe 2-3 months ago, and it wasn't utilized until maybe a month ago. When i install it on my PC (asus maximus vii Hero, g3258, 4GB ram, 1200W PSU) the card powers up(fan on, LED logo illuminates) and the board begins to post. The VGA LED illuminates and it hangs there with an ASUS Qcode 62(installation of PCH runtime services) and fails to go any further. I've tried multiple PCI lanes, and the bios is 2801.

So does anybody know how to troubleshoot components on the card or know of a guide somewhere? Maybe just an idea of what could make this card fail?
Thanks everybody.

OP
TuKr

TuKr

But the pc never post's worth the gpu installed.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Without the GPU installed set the BIOS to always use the iGPU, then try booting.

wingman99

Have you tried plugging into the motherboard with the monitor to post?

Last edited:
OP
TuKr

TuKr

I may have the igpu set, ill check that. Ill look into an RMA for it as well. And yeah i tried to boot with the card plugged into the monitor and with the card installed and intigrated gpu to the monitor.

ATMINSIDE

Try with the monitor plugged in to the motherboard and the BIOS set to force iGPU as main display device before baking.

OP
TuKr

TuKr

hahaha, ill run through my settings one more time, makeing sure that all bios options are exhausted, then ill try 385F for about 6-9 minutes. wish me luck...:thup:

OP
TuKr

TuKr

Try with the monitor plugged in to the motherboard and the BIOS set to force iGPU as main display device before baking.

Alright, I forced IGPU with the 780 installed. It booted and the 780 was seen in device manager. I was able to install the Driver and its updates. Then, when i went back into BIOS and re-enabled Auto GPU selection with the original symptoms again. Black screen, VGA LED illuminated stuck at 62.

Is Now the time to try a GPU BIOS update? and if so, do you have a guide for it?

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
nvflash for windows
enter command prompt with admin rights and type nvflash bios.rom -4 -5 -6 ( depends from version can be slightly different but it should still work )
where bios.rom = your bios file name , best if file is in the same folder as nvflash files

Today's new downloads on techpowerup have links to new versions with unlocked protection:
http://www.techpowerup.com/

ATMINSIDE

Yes, now is when you try the BIOS flash.

Woomack has you covered on that front.
You can download the BIOS from TPU also.

OP
TuKr

TuKr

Alright. So when i open GPU-Z it does not have a bios version for the 780. I've tried two different BIOS versions and one of them showed a successful write. On reboot, it hangs again. so i switched back to Igpu and reinstalled the card, opened up GPU-Z again and it shows no bios version again. I'm gonna keep trying other roms, but open to suggestions.

**Update**
Just a restart, without switching back to BIOS to select GPU settings, and the bios version that was written to the 780 becomes "Unknown" to GPU-Z

Last edited:

Evil-Mobo

Alright. So when i open GPU-Z it does not have a bios version for the 780. I've tried two different BIOS versions and one of them showed a successful write. On reboot, it hangs again. so i switched back to Igpu and reinstalled the card, opened up GPU-Z again and it shows no bios version again. I'm gonna keep trying other roms, but open to suggestions.

Man I hope you get this figured out, would be good for you to get this GPU running again :thup:

I like bringing life to old stuff, just the Paramedic in me lol..... :D

OP
TuKr

TuKr

Just got done contacting EVGA about repair and troubleshooting:

What we could offer is an out of warranty repair which is $65 an hour plus parts not paid for up front until the product has been assessed by an engineer and deemed fixable. Code 43 is a generic code for a hardware failure which sometimes can be fixed by removing the drivers and doing a fresh re-install. If you want to be absolutely certain the card is faulty, I would recommend testing it in a different PC.

Device manager shows code 43, so this one may end up finding the oven tonight if no other solution comes about.