• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heat

Betteer hurry 'cuz I'm shipping it back to Newegg on a RMA first thing tomorrow AM! :D

Okay, seven months ago I got an OEM 30GB Maxtor 7200RPM HD. It worked fine for about four months, then the computer couldn't see the dang thing, and I tried switching wires and cables around, and it did power up again, but all the data was lost so I had to reinstall everything again. Around three months, the computer sometimes wouldn't detect the drive, so it takes a few restarts, but now it won't come on at all, and I've TRIED changing jumper settings, cables, power cables, and even in another computer. NOTHING worked. I thought, well, it still could be a flaky IDE controller, threw a known working hard drive and it worked and had no problems since.

This happened to you? When the computer seemed to be unable to detect the HD at random and then total HD failure - not poweing up at all? The computer would hang at the point in IDE detection and pause for a few minutes trying to contact the HD, and coming up empty.

stool

Did you try DL'ing the Powermax diagnostic software from Maxtor's website? You'll probably need to run that before you RMA anyway.

SuperDave1685

I've had this problem with my laptop that was made in 1999. The problem was my power cord was crapping out on me and I ordered a new one. Worked fine ever since. I'm unaware of your system specs, but I would check to see if there are flucuations on your PSU's output. That OEM drive might require a slightly different amount of power than the HD you popped in. By saying the computer doesn't see it, I'm assuming you are refering to the BIOS. If there are no power fluctuations, I'd check the MBR on the HD. Other than that, I really have no ideas except to run the Powermax tests and maybe a checkdisk (provided you can get into windows or use a recovery CD for windows 2k or XP) Let us know how things workked out! :)

OP
H

Heat

Oh too late. Sent it back to Newegg. :)

Okay, my system also had a CD-RW and a DVD-ROM, the computer had no problem seeing them. It saw the other hard drives just fine. The power cord could have been an issue. Are you sayinng that an OEM drive can actually require more power or have different ... something? Always thought the only diff b/w retail and OEM is that it doesn't come in the pretty box. I don't know the exact model of the motherboard so can't say much on that.

Yes, I had done the MaxBlast a few weeks before total drive failure. It did the 90 second test and it failed but I didn't have time to do a low level format - it had only been three months since I done that. A few weeks later the computer wouldn't detect it at all so MaxBlast was useless at that point. That was a clue when Maxblast said the HD failed the test - it had done the same thing before, but maxblast was able to *fix* the errors but it crapped out again later.

stool

Just in case you have the same problem in the future, anytime a drive fails any of the tests, write down the error codes, and contact Maxtor, Usually they'll give you an RMA # on the spot,