• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead harddrive revival

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkDraco

my otehr computer shutoff when one of my power cables moved. the drive doesnt turn on anymore. i took the drive out and tried other PSUs but it doesnt spin. is it fully dead or can it be brought back.

Wathnix

Try looking very closely at the pins on the power connector to see if they have some crud on them, otherwise it's fried

Xenocide

on wd drives sometimes you can swap the pcb controller under the drive if you have another matching drive. but it is risky. really easy to break it.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
<thread hijack>

Is it me?... Reading the thread title, I get visions of a Southern Baptist minister under a tent somewhere holding a Seagate in his hand yelling; "Away evil spirits! Let the Lord cleanse these platters and bring healing to your sectors! May the Power of God bring defragmentation where there is corruption!"

</end thread hijack>

:p

Drec

Mr B said:
<thread hijack>

Is it me?... Reading the thread title, I get visions of a Southern Baptist minister under a tent somewhere holding a Seagate in his hand yelling; "Away evil spirits! Let the Lord cleanse these platters and bring healing to your sectors! May the Power of God bring defragmentation where there is corruption!"

</end thread hijack>

:p

Amen brother.
:rolleyes:

Xenocide

nice Mr. B!

but your your SOL with a maxtor. im looking at a DiamondMax Plus 8 (single platter 7200rpm drives up to 40gb) looks like you CAN take off the pcb with a torque head screw driver, but i would be extra careful, im not sure how it attaches, looks like a 9x2 pin header on the top right if the drive is flipped over, and the motor might be connected in the center by 4 wires running under or through the pcb.

good luck though

lilneel12

try swapping the board on the bottom of the hd, that worked for me once. also, if it put it in a static free bag and tape it up and put it in the freezer overnight, then hook it up to another computer to reformat it. This also worked for me.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
lilneel12 said:
try swapping the board on the bottom of the hd, that worked for me once. also, if it put it in a static free bag and tape it up and put it in the freezer overnight, then hook it up to another computer to reformat it. This also worked for me.

I've heard of that one (freezer). While it certainly doesn't "fix" it, sometimes it buys you enough time to recover some/all of your files before it fully dies.

OP
DarkDraco

DarkDraco

i knew of the freezer thing from a long time ago but the drive doesnt spin at all for the freezer thing to work. if i am correct, the freezer process is only for drive that spin but something is wrong with the reader or something, i dont know. but i already tried putting it in freezer before i posted here.

Dukeman

Dead Drive Recovery

Option 1 - Replacing the PCB
This works if there is a PCB failure. This is a popular option for people with identical drives however there are two gotchas attached. First, if the firmware rev is different, then the drive may work but the data may not be accessible or may be destroyed. Second, most drives are tuned at the factory for maximum performance. These parameters are maintained in flash memory on the PCB, so if you swap it for another, the parameters will not match and the chance the drive will work will be minimal. It may spin but may not come ready or may not be accessible as a volume under your OS.

Option 2 - Freezing the Drive
This works if a failure that is heat related is the cause. Freezing the drive can cause a poor connector to contract and re-connect until the drive heats up again. I don't think it is possible to freeze the ferrofluid in the motor but freezing the drive could cause an issue if there is any moisture in the drive that becomes ice crystals.

Option 3 - Smacking the Drive
This does not generally work and any physical shock may damage the media and permanently destroy the data. People do this to try to move the motor off of a deadspot or unstick a frozen actuator. I don't recommend this but if you have to get a motor to spin try holding the drive in one hand and imagine the axis of the motor passing through the center of your hand. Then with a quick snap of the wrist, spin the drive. Since the heads are parked in the landing zone they should not be damaged. Do not try running excessive voltage across the 12v line.

Other Things to Consider
Check your power supply. If the voltages are near the limit the drive may not be able to handle marginal voltages any more.

If the drive is spinning and the BIOS reads the model number or serial number then the drive is probably good and the partition table or MBR are bad. I recommend trying Scandisk (Windows centric I know) or a program like EasyRecover from Ontrack to get the data.

Hope this is helpful...