• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Memory Question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CDuddley

I've got some dead DDR memory on my hands (I think). Shouldn't I be able to plug it into my other machine without it messing up that machine? If the memory is dead, then the machine I put it in should either not register the new memory amount or not boot up at all, until I take it. Does this sound like a fair guess? Also, this is the second stick to die on me could this be a power supply problem, that causes the memory to die or something, but everything else (video card, motherboard, etc.) seems to be doing alright. Well thanks for your time everyone.

-C Duddley

Welcome to the Forums!

It's entirely possible that your power supply is causing memory errors. This doesn't mean that the memory is bad, just that the power supply is at fault. You can get a program to test your memory, and see if it's defective HERE.
This program will not run under windows. You need to get a diskette, and extract the program to it (no need to format the diskete). Boot off the diskette and let it run. It's made using a Linux kernel, so windows will not be able to read it.

Back