• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

so many choices

Hey guys, my system won't boot up at all and I'm not sure what the problem is. I had my computer running while I was away for a couple of hours and when I came back it was off. I tried to turn it on but the power supply fan turned on then it turned off. I have an Asus a7v133 that i tried to do a volt mod to but messed up bad on, Athlon 1400 that was @ 1620 and i don't know the power supply.

What do you guys think is wrong with it?

Well its hard to say without more info but it doesnt sound like its the processor, u said the PSU fan came on then went off. Is that every time you turn the comp on? If the fan doesnt come on at all anymore (and none of the lghts on your comp come on) then it may be that either you blew a fuse in your PSU or the PSU is dead.
If you have access to another comp ypu could try the PSU in there to confirm it. If its not the PSU then it may be you motherboard and the fact that you say u tried a volt mod that went bad backs up that theory. But IMO its one of the two... also do you get any post code beeps at all when you power up your comp?

I "had" an A7V. Killed it in less than 5 minutes too.
I was cheacking the mosfets for voltage w/ my multimeter and my hand got shakey....well, needless to say I got a new mobo now.

That's my guess.
Need resetable circuit breakers on these mobos, not fuses!
(yeah, like that's gonna happen)

Good Luck

:cool:

Dunno, could be the proc. I killed an Athlon 1.3... All the fans and such would turn on, but it wouldnt post... Swap the proc, it works fine. I still dont know how I killed it--it wasnt overclocked, there was a HSF on it at all times... I think I must have crushed it w/ the HSF (I was doing tests on several procs that day, so I was doing quite a bit of swapping). There was no visible crack or crush anywhere tho... So i dunno.

Sorry... It really does suck when stuff dies. :mad:

DaddyB said:
Well its hard to say without more info but it doesnt sound like its the processor, u said the PSU fan came on then went off. Is that every time you turn the comp on? If the fan doesnt come on at all anymore (and none of the lghts on your comp come on) then it may be that either you blew a fuse in your PSU or the PSU is dead.
If you have access to another comp ypu could try the PSU in there to confirm it. If its not the PSU then it may be you motherboard and the fact that you say u tried a volt mod that went bad backs up that theory. But IMO its one of the two... also do you get any post code beeps at all when you power up your comp?

No, the PSU fan only came on that one time. Now, nothing comes on except for the motherboard light. There is no beeps or nothing. Hopefully UPS doesn't lag and I get my pc 3000 from OCZ today. Then, I can try the procesor on my MSI board.

You guys have any suggestions for a good overclocking pc133 board?

Sounds like a dead board or a dead proc (although it could be a pad PSU... But then I wouldnt think the lights would come on). If you have a spare proc (or know someone who has one you can borrow), swap and see if that helps. Then, try with that other mobo you are talking about. Just keep on going until you narrow it down...

Well it sounds like power is going from the PSU to the motherboard (which turns on the light) but the motherboard doesn't turn on the PSU + its fans. So it I would think that all will be ok with the new motherboard.

The only thing im not sure about is why the fan only came on once, when you powered up your PC after you found it turned off that might have shorted the motherboard (cause of the volt mod) just as the fan was starting.

If you use the same PSU on your new motherboard and the fans still dont come on, I'd unplug it, pull it out of the comp and open it up (voiding the warranty) and look to see if you can find a fuse in there, as it may be blown. I've only opened one PSU and it had a fuse soldered to the board (looks like a glass tube with a wire inside and silver caps on the end), it might have been blown and could be fairly easily replaced if you can find a fuse for the same voltage/amperage.

But hopefully its just the motherboard, please post back to let us know how it all turns out and good luck

Well I tried sticking my new motherbard with same power supply and the fan turned once and still didn't come on.
Then I tried using a different processor and still nothing.

Finaly I tried on my other case with the new motherbard, with the first processor and everything worked fine.
Now all I need is a higher voltage.

Were's my damn soldering iron!:D

Back