• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dead video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

hey, my computer just recently started screwing up upon boot, the video goes all weird and screwed up.
looks like the attached image.
this is cause of something wrong with my video card, correct?

Attachments

• Kevin_0029.jpg
    Kevin_0029.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 303

Omari79

Registered
Can't help you but what have you been doing with your card? extreme overclocking? excessive voltage increase? maybe a static electricity shock?

jobrien2001

Hmm... my first thought is... you OC your cpu and forgot to keep the PCIe frequency at 100mhz?

Drumroll.

tinymouse2

Either your PCIe Freq is to low like jobrien2001 said or the Vram is corrupt. Prior to this did you notice any crazy colours in games? Or just blobs of random colours that seem a bit like dead pixels bit larger?

OP
dyckah

dyckah

PCIe freq was locked at 100.
screen seemed normal, but then i shut comp off and went away for a few days.
come back, and turn the computer on, and get a weird picture right from startup.
i tried resetting the bios, and then when i went to switch the pci-e slot the card was in, i noticed a weird white discoloring on the back of my card.
have done barely any overclocking on the card, just what CCC auto-tune set the card to.
gonna go get myself a new video card today, see if that solves my problem

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
PCIe freq was locked at 100.
screen seemed normal, but then i shut comp off and went away for a few days.
come back, and turn the computer on, and get a weird picture right from startup.
i tried resetting the bios, and then when i went to switch the pci-e slot the card was in, i noticed a weird white discoloring on the back of my card.
have done barely any overclocking on the card, just what CCC auto-tune set the card to.
gonna go get myself a new video card today, see if that solves my problem

I had the white stuff on the back of my last 4850. That card ran funny from the beginning, and then just all of the sudden died.

Not looking too good for ya... :(

tinymouse2

Hmm, solder doesn't have anything that would give out a white powder when overheated or anything as far as I know :(
Could be the thermal paste... but it sounds unlikely. I guess anything's worth a shot at this point. If you're planning to buy a new one if you can't get it working and you have the money you might as well crack it open and check the thermal paste any check to see if any capacitors are blown.

OP
dyckah

dyckah

and i dont have to take the cooler off to check the capacitors, they all look fine.
it will boot up with the 4850 in, but the colors are all messed up, right from the second the image comes on my monitor, and in the bios, it is unreadable, but i can sorta guess what it is from prior use.
picked up a new xfx 4870 today, plugged everything in, and it wont even boot with the new card in, i just get one long beep, and no image gets sent to the monitor at all. gonna go and exchange that card for a new one tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
dyckah

dyckah

edit, got a better pic.
snapshot200912121.jpg

discoloring is by the bottom left screw

Last edited: