• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deadlines question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GryphoN

Hey dudes, i recently completed a WU, after leaving my rig on all nite long. What about deadline time,is it flexible or at the exact time my partial WU is lost completely? o_O
I mean, in order to fold part time, may i merely don't care about deadlines and continue my folding at next boot up, or i must follow deadline's directives?

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
The deadlines are the deadlines. If you return a WU late, you won't get credit for it. There is a preferred deadline, which is when Stanford would prefer to have the WU completed by, and if it is a bonus WU, if you don't meet the preferred deadline, you won't get the bonus. Then there is the final deadline, that you have to meet to get credit for the WU. If you don't meet the final deadline, you don't get credit for it (and I think the client may dump it), and then it is redistributed to be done by another folder. This slows down the science as well, due to WU's waiting til deadlines to be folded again. If you don't keep the system running to meet the deadlines, I would recommend switching to the uniproc client, and run one of those for each core in your system. Just make sure to set up a separate Machine ID for each core (ie 0, 1, 2, 3, for a quad and 0, 1, for a dual) so that the clients aren't fighting for one core.

ChasR

The work unit is reissued to someone else at the preferred deadline, so if you don't make that you're not doing any science, you're wasting electricity. The SMP and GPU clients are considered High Performance clients and are meant to be run 24/7. The uniprocessor client has much longer deadlines and works well on machines run part time.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
The work unit is reissued to someone else at the preferred deadline, so if you don't make that you're not doing any science, you're wasting electricity. The SMP and GPU clients are considered High Performance clients and are meant to be run 24/7. The uniprocessor client has much longer deadlines and works well on machines run part time.

Thanks for the correction, ChasR. I was almost certain that the WU was reissued at the final deadline.

OP
GryphoN

GryphoN

Thank you all. :)

I'll setup 4 uniprocessor clients tonight, so i can shut down my rig without wasting work units and time, and sure electricity(here in Italy the bill is so high due to the massive import of energy).

I'll check also the status of Stanford gpu2-asignment server, yesterday was down. in the case is on, i'll start folding also with my 5870 with the -forcegpu r700 flag.

Last but not least,i saw about the third place in the world , so let me pay all my

CONGRATS ! :beer: