• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dear Warren Spector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DayUSeX

First I would like to thankyou for some great gaming memories. Especially System Shock 1 and 2, Theif 1 and 2, and finnally the great and might Deus Ex. You truley have given me my hard earned monys worth out of these games.
But I must say please stop making games. I have read you post mortem at ign.com and realised that you like console games alot more than you like PC games. Lets face it all those compromises are actually you appeasing your console lover, and stabing your pc brother in the back. While I could see how you wanted to simplify the game, making it console friendly is not simplifying at all. Lets face it eveyrthing in DX2 (cuase thats what it is) screams play me on a controller. I liked skill points, it made sense. It made me want do go looking around for objects, and doing things the more intersting way. But removing that simply means why should I do that when I can just shoot the guy. As for getting a AUG and waiting for a bot, that was half the fun. It dragged on the tingling "i cant wait to see what it does feeling". Where now you dont rightly know when you will get an AUG and it isnt even that exciting as you wernt expecting the upgrade. All the fun RPG elements are gone. Then the graphics which are horrible. They all scream XBOX optimised. Even how the levels are in small chuncks so the xbox's silly little 64mb of ram could handle them. You say you can make a great RPG using one block. Please dont, I dont care if that one block is a perfectly modeled one block, and can simulate life to a T. One block is still boring. Give me massive sprawling maps that are heavily populated becuase my 1gb of ram can handle it. Im not here to tell you how to make games, if you want to make a console game go for it, just dont give us a port. If you would have made DX2, Monkeys for freedom, and made it XBOX only, you would probably have gotten the same reviews if not better and you wouldnt have angered us PC lovers for seeing what you did to such our beloved game. If you want to make a Console game make a console game, just dont try to shove it off as you tried to make a PC and Xbox game at the same time. So please leave theif III and the supposed System Shock III alone. IF they are going to be Xbox/PC titles like DX2 was, I would rather you just not even give us the PC PORT. All it does is dissapoint us on how it must be dumbed down to work on an XBOX. If i want to play a dumbed down Theif III, I will play it on a friends Xbox. I might even like it as you do make some great games and being on an XBox im not exactly expecting much anyways. So please make a console game or a PC game, dont do both. Im not even going to finish DX2 becuase its sooo horrible, as a PC game. Since i was already hyped up for some Deus Ex PC action, DX is now on my PC again and im gonig though again and loving every moment. Who knows maybe a friend will buy DX2 on Xbox and I can play it there and enjoy a good Xbox game. Thank you for the great PC games, and I hope you pick to make only PC games next time around, who knows maybe Deus Ex 2: Visible war, or something.

well what do you think of my little letter to warren, anything else you would like to add??

micamica1217

man that brought tears to my eyes.

I was so looking foward to buying DX2....
then after the very disapointing demo, all the true reviews came out.
"this game screams "X-box port""....Oh, nooooo
my biggest nightmare came true.

maybe it's just me, but dues ex was my all time fav, number 1 game of all time. and yes, the under rated system shock2 is still the most scaryest game I've ever played.

it was bad enough that Halo ran poorly, it at least looked great, and had everything working for it like in the Xbox.
but DX2 is not a simple shooter...it's suposed to be more of an RPG.
with DX8/9 type graphics no less.
what a disapointment.
I didn't buy the game yet, so I realy can't add anything to what you said.
I just don't know if I will buy it though...man, I have the money for it just sitting here on my table.
I know that game developers are going through some hard times, but if they realy wanted to stay in buisness they would stick it out with a "game of the year" contender, instead of trying to please both the consoles and PC.
just look at what happened with the N-Gage.....
who cares if the games are getting better, not even your wife will want to talk on a taco.

(I just reread what you said)
are you saying that the outdoor envionments are just as small as in the demo??? (aka, made small enough to fit into the xbox memory limits?)
Oh, nooooo...no great big out door environments???
no exploreing?
and lvls that are more linear with a side tack that has no point or advantage. booo hoooo:cry:

mica needs a game for x-mas

mica

OC Noob

Thats strange because Knights of the Old Republic has like 100x more depth then DX1 and it is a console game/port. It can be done.

grunjee

I agree with pretty much everything you said, DayUSeX.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about DX2. Yesterday was the first day that I truly sat down and played, I literally spent over 6 hours playing.

The fact that I spent 6+ hours playing says something... and no, I'm not incredibly bored. There are no other games I can think of besides the two Deus Ex games that I can sit down for that long and play... and still want more.

While I'm having fun with DX2, enjoying the story, and reliving some of that DX1 feeling, I can't help but be utterly disappointed and furious at Ion Storm.

I think my biggest gripe right now, what's the most frustrating, is the load times. For crying out loud, every time I change an area, or load a game, it's a good 30 seconds. The copy protection check is clearly some of that, which is another annoyance! For crying out loud, please just check for my disc on startup, NOT every frickin' level! :mad:

I dunno, everyone seems to think the graphics stink. I like them and don't see what everyone is so upset about. Performance is another story. The game is barely playable at 1024x768 on my rig, which is among the faster rigs of today. What gives?

I too miss the skill points. And the interface, while it just plain sucks... somehow I've gotten used to it... that is, with opacity cranked all the way down.

I guess I would add this to the letter:

Warren, why did you sell out to MS and the XBOX? Think you'll bring in more money that way? I think in the end, it's going to backfire on you. You've certainly gone from a god in my mind to a shady corporate sellout... I'm going to give you one more chance to clean up your act with Theif III (which, if you blow like DX2, heads are going to roll) and possibly DX3. Keep up this crap and you won't see a red cent of my money ever again.

micamica1217

grunjee said:

I dunno, everyone seems to think the graphics stink. I like them and don't see what everyone is so upset about.

well maybe you should look at what the game was suposed to look like here.

sorry, just go back to page one and start from there....
the old original screens look much better and the performance was about the same, before the deus exbox codeing got added and craped on everything.

mica

grunjee

micamica1217 said:

well maybe you should look at what the game was suposed to look like here.

:cry:

Ok, NOW I see what people are upset about!!! I can't believe it... man I need some alcohol...

I just read Warren Spector's 3 pages on IGN. Sure enough he's a console gamer at heart. I appreciate his viewpoint on some stuff and after reading it, it's easier to accept some things such as unified ammo. My hatred for the XBOX is now complete... us PC users are getting d*cked on load times because of the thing. :(

One promising thing though... he said specifically they're considering a patch to change the HUD to what it should be. Please Ion Storm... get that thing out asap!

OP
DayUSeX

DayUSeX

OC Noob said:
Thats strange because Knights of the Old Republic has like 100x more depth then DX1 and it is a console game/port. It can be done.
KOTOR was always deloped wiht PC in mind, DX2 wasnt....it was XBOX firs then PC PORT

OP
DayUSeX

DayUSeX

micamica1217 said:
man that brought tears to my eyes.

I was so looking foward to buying DX2....
then after the very disapointing demo, all the true reviews came out.
"this game screams "X-box port""....Oh, nooooo
my biggest nightmare came true.

maybe it's just me, but dues ex was my all time fav, number 1 game of all time. and yes, the under rated system shock2 is still the most scaryest game I've ever played.

it was bad enough that Halo ran poorly, it at least looked great, and had everything working for it like in the Xbox.
but DX2 is not a simple shooter...it's suposed to be more of an RPG.
with DX8/9 type graphics no less.
what a disapointment.
I didn't buy the game yet, so I realy can't add anything to what you said.
I just don't know if I will buy it though...man, I have the money for it just sitting here on my table.
I know that game developers are going through some hard times, but if they realy wanted to stay in buisness they would stick it out with a "game of the year" contender, instead of trying to please both the consoles and PC.
just look at what happened with the N-Gage.....
who cares if the games are getting better, not even your wife will want to talk on a taco.

(I just reread what you said)
are you saying that the outdoor envionments are just as small as in the demo??? (aka, made small enough to fit into the xbox memory limits?)
Oh, nooooo...no great big out door environments???
no exploreing?
and lvls that are more linear with a side tack that has no point or advantage. booo hoooo:cry:

mica needs a game for x-mas

mica

no evyerhitn is small, outdoor indoor, everything feels cramped and loads are very frequent. Everything just looks like some1 made a map in MAX, used the scale tool, and shrunk it down 50%. As for exploring there is "exploring" as in there is the front door, hmm i turn the left corner ohh woow here is a nice vent i can cralw though, instead of blowing the guards up, wow that was real rewarding.............................. Yes point advantage gone, why do any of the cool stuff in deus ex if you get the same result. If you want a cool christmas game, check out KNOTOR, Armed and Dangerous (funny and intersint just sometimes gameplay lags a little)

OC Noob

DayUSeX said:

KOTOR was always deloped wiht PC in mind, DX2 wasnt....it was XBOX firs then PC PORT

My point is just that it could have been developed with the PC in mind or even with the same depth of DX1 with the console in mind. Its not the consoles fault, its the devs fault. If they really believe that "dumbing it down" for console gamers is going to make it better, they are sadly mistaken. Most of the money in console gaming for games like DX2 is coming from young adults who are sophisticated enough to want a game with some depth. Its not like they are all 7 year olds looking for games that use 1 button and have Kirby in them, lol.

Anyway, I think DX2 sucks on both sides, PC & console. Its a disapointment for all gamers.