• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Death to NF7-S, my replacement :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

well, i finally killed my nf7, it died 20 mins after i installed my new zalman chipset cooler. it was snug and square, and kept about as cool as the stock cooler did. was at 240x10 when the mouse froze.. then i went into the bios, and it froze saveing settings :( so this is it.. im pretty sure its not worth what i paid for it, but man, its still a nice board. still have to get a cpu and gpu for it. Im on a borrowed thinkpad T30, with a 2 gig cpu, and 256mb ram, and a 16mb radeon 7500, wo0terz!!. Anyways, lets hope this baby posts! lol.

Picture001.jpg
Picture003.jpg
Picture007.jpg

Last edited:
OP
freeagent

freeagent

Hey man, i just scooped a sandiego 3700, and bfg 6600gt, this owns my barton system in every way! i dont ave any troubles running 1T like ive read about. Ive tried a little overclocking, and got it to 2600mhz, but i dont think i was feeding enough volts, and it shut off on its own. I find it does that when its not a stable clock speed... i dont know, ive only been on it for a couple hours, tgif tho, i get the weekend to figure out how to use it! this is very sweet tho, i love a64! its so uber smooth! in games lije quake4, i dont even have to oc it, and it loads about 2 minutes faster than my barton did, it takes about 20s :) Im happy, just not with what everything costs, 300 with tax for the mobo, and 619 for the cpu and gpu, everything else is a carryover from my previous build

Beginner

rip and a moment of silent for your nf7-s

when you get a chance post the performance and gaming difference between your nf7 and your new board :)

JJG

DUDE... your old board is the same as my current board.. and your replacement board is the same one i am looking at :eek:
the thread about my system upgrade Link

OP
freeagent

freeagent

Beginner said:
fa, any progress on your new board?

Oh yeah, this board is awsome compared to my NF7, i know alot of peeps say get a dfi, but man, this is super uber smooth, im at 280x10, with a 333 divider (still learning to oc 939, but man its alot of fun) Sorry, i forgot to keep this thread updated, im useing stock cooling atm, i really have to say, this sandy is a sweet piece of tech :)
this is what im at currently :)

i was playing with it before, but i really really need to ditch this stock cooler ;)

3gigs at 1.6v= hella high temps, hopefully, i get a new cooler for xmas :beer:

Last edited:

Beginner

awesome! i think i just killed my nf7 doing the vtt/vbt vmod. i wont be able to go 939 like you did, i might have to look for another nf7 board or get a dfi nf2 or ultra b?

congradulations on the sweet overclock.

OP
freeagent

freeagent

man, my paycheque got raped twice to buy these 3 components, 900 beans got me in the game... but, well worth it if you ask me. Next up, is new ram, maybe gold vx i think it is, it can handle 3.5vdimm and still be warrenteed, and a 7800 gtx, or two :p i still miss my nf7, im cleared for RMA, so im going to do it, its fun, its simplistic, and man, im definately not going to push as much as my last one, well... maybe a little, since thats what they are for heh. this board is a little finicky, im on holidaze now, i have plenty-o-beer, so ill see what this bad boy has :) Sorry to hear about your board to man, i was lost without mine.

Beginner

thats good news that its still under warranty. i buying another board from a member here myself. the little money i had went towards w/c components. i'm still going to try and fully vmod it.

Darien

freeagent said:
...was at 240x10 when the mouse froze.. then i went into the bios, and it froze saveing settings :( so this is it..

Hey buddy,

sorry if you already tried this... you probably know this...

but it sounds like you just corrupted the BIOS... if you were to get another BIOS chip for your nF7 for Hot Flash the BIOS... you could probably save the old nf7 board and have it as your back up.

OP
freeagent

freeagent

Darien said:
Hey buddy,

sorry if you already tried this... you probably know this...

but it sounds like you just corrupted the BIOS... if you were to get another BIOS chip for your nF7 for Hot Flash the BIOS... you could probably save the old nf7 board and have it as your back up.

Hi, thanks man, i am going to order one after the new year, i still miss that system :) I thought the bios was getting flaky on me, becasue a few days before it actually died, i was in a pink bios! actually the blue was pink, and the white letters where blue, it was a scary moment.. it did NOT like 2800mhz at all :( it would be nice to have a second rig going :santa:

Thanks for checking in, ive seen what youve done with your an7, sweet board :) :beer:

Darien

freeagent said:
Hi, thanks man, i am going to order one after the new year, i still miss that system :) I thought the bios was getting flaky on me, becasue a few days before it actually died, i was in a pink bios! actually the blue was pink, and the white letters where blue, it was a scary moment.. it did NOT like 2800mhz at all :( it would be nice to have a second rig going :santa:

Thanks for checking in, ive seen what youve done with your an7, sweet board :) :beer:

OMG! you had your nf7 at 2.8Ghz!!! damn!! how did you do that, liquid cooling??

Anyways, defineately sounds like a corrupted BIOS chip on your Nf7... read the first page of my AN7 guide thread for instructions on where to get the chip and how to hot flash it.

OP
freeagent

freeagent

lol, 2.8 for about 1 min, until i saw my barton was idleing at 55c lol. I ran it at 240, for about 6 months at least, between 24-2600mhz. It was a sweet board, i learned how to clock with that baby :) All cooling was done with air, and ALOT of fans :p Only to smash all of my personal records with a stock 3700 heheh. Thanks for the tip with the bios, its definately borked, no beep codes, just fans.. :beer: