• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decent PSU for a single 7800gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XBOA2000

Registered
I'm considering buying a 7800gt, which has a power requirement of 26A on the 12v rail. I'd like to know the best PSU that could run it for $60 or less. I'm not going to SLI or anything, so there should at least be an OK one for that price.

*Edit for money increase

Last edited:

Know Nuttin

what is the rest of your system spec's?

7800GT's draw around 70-80w peak. Assuming most of that is +12v, that's around 7A max.

The 26A rating is for the whole system, not just the video card. If that was true, we'd need 700w PSU's for our systems.

ckj

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

I'd reccomend this if you really had to hit that $40 price point. But really if you're going to spend $300 on a videocard, you may as well put quality power in your system as well.

My reccomendation is purely for running at stock, and I doubt you'd get a lot of OC out of your system.

In the offchance that you decide to spend more money, I can reccomend the fortron 450w, or the 500w bluestorm from www.actbuy.com (500w is cheaper at actbuy)

OP
X

XBOA2000

Registered
Hmm. Then what would be the best PSU for approx. $60? I'd like to overclock a bit.