• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decided on WC.... a little help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SilverArrow

Registered
Well I finally got sick of all the noise. Need a little help deciding on some of the parts.

Custom Kit:, MAZE3 AMD, 1/2 Fittings, Heater Core, Eheim 1048, 7 Feet Tubing, Arctic Silver 3 , 4oz Water Wetter, 10 Hose Clamps & T-Fitting

The thing is I know Maze3 is new and untested. I can exchange it for Maze2 and BlackIce prime, and stay in the same price range.

I have a Tbird 1ghz@1500. Plan to upgrade to a T-bred as soon as possible. Is the pump enough to cool it, or should I go for a bit more power?

Ps. Im looking at other Water cooling kits right now. This one might not be the final. Any suggestions are welcome.

To begin with, your pump is way too weak.

Specs:

Eheim 1048

110/120Volt - 158 GPH

Works with 3/8" Silicon Hose

With a few feet of tubing that GPH will drop significantly. If you have the room stick the things inside your case, and use as little tubing as possible. Look for a good mid 500gph pump, and again make the tubing very short, the longer the tubing the less GPH goes through the pump. I would wait for some Maze 3 results, it could be a mistake if you bought it and there are problems, although the Gemini high flow block would work great. The BlackIce rad is over priced and heatcores are cheaper and work much better than them.

Here can be a little revised list:

Maze3 (Highly advised to research)/Gemini High Flow Rate (Already proven to be a great waterblock)
500-550gph pump
2-3ft tubing and try to fit everything inside the case to reduce that tubing.
Water Wetter, Hose clamps..

Kit #1 sounds like a very nice setup. The pump will work fine, but you could use a larger model, and so will the heatercore. The Black Ice is a good radiator, but if you have the room, my opinion is that the heatercore would do a better job. (I've not tested this personally)

One tip though, get 10 feet of tubing, you never know what's going to change once you start installing the system and actually placing the pieces in your case. You don't want to run short because of a layout change at the last minute. Being an inch or two short would be mighty embarassing, and it sucks to pay more for shipping than for the extra piece of tube you were short.

Have fun, man!, and Welcome to the forums!

Well I was planing to put everything inside the case. Its an Enermax710 same as the Antec 1040.

You see I wanted to order everything from one place as a whole kit. As this is my entry into the WC area, I know very little about it.

I guess this could be it.
Gemini Cool High Flow Spiral 40$
Heater Core Radiator, 3/8 Fittings 35$
Arctic Silver 3 - 3g $8.00
4oz Water Wetter $3
SILICON TUBING 10ft. Just to be safe.

I dont really know what to look for in terms of pums. A little suggestion perhaps? One more thing. Will I need a reservoir, if so where do I get one?

I choose the Eheim 1250 pump myselt. In case you want to cool the video card and chipset as well you will not regret getting the extra pump power. Also, you might want to look into heater core shroud and push pull quiet fan with fan speed controller circuit. I would get the 12oz water wetter instead. You never know how many times you need to change the set up.
My WC system is similar to yours except what I mention above.
Welcome to the forum.

Yodums-
"Specs:

Eheim 1048

110/120Volt - 158 GPH

Works with 3/8" Silicon Hose"

FYI Eheim 1048 comes with 1/2" fittings, not 3/8"... but works with 3/8" silicone hose, as it fits nicely over 1/2" ID barbed fittings.

1048 will do just fine. if you have enough room get the 1250, it won't hurt. I have both pumps in different rigs now.

I don't know about Gemini, but Maze3 looks better to me. It features turbulent flow as well, so I think it will perform good...

I don't know why you want to bother yourself dealing with a heatercore. Black Ice radiators are built for the task. I suggest you to get a BI Pro or Xtreme.

BTW check out cooltechnica.com for all the stuff above. They are my favorite place to buy H20 gear. One of the reasons is they deliver the stuff faster than any other place I ever dealt with including DangerDen. The second reason is, they were running a chromie Xtreme Rev.2 deal over at procooling.com, and I got my chrome plated Xtreme at the regular Xtreme's price. No extra charge whatsoever, so I like those guys:D
Check out their AquaXtreme Kit, it's the best price I've ever seen on these parts. Cooltechnica WC Kits

Back