• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decided to say farewell to Mac and Build a new PC workstation. Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bcmove007

Hello,

It's been over 15yrs since I last built a PC and I know things have changed that I feel like a noob. Please Help. So here's the issue...
After getting everything hooked up I inserted the USB flash drive to boot up windows install. After it went thru the windows check list, I was taken to the serial prompt. After entering my serial and pressing Enter the machine would continue Windows and then reboot.. As if the power cut out and restarted again. This would continuously happen and be stuck in a loop. After restarting I would sometimes get to a windows dialogue that says windows wasn't properly installed. I would try to get into the Bios to boot into the USB again to reinstall, and I would see several partitions probably created by the reboot loop of trying to install windows. Also sometimes, while in BIOS the machine would reboot, again as if someone cut the power and started it up again.

Here's my rig... It's going to be used for Video/3D Rendering/Graphics
CPU : Intel Xeon E5-2697V4 2.3 GHz 45 MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 145W
MOTHERBOARD: Asus X99-E-10G WS OR ASUS X99-E- WS
COOLER: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
RAM : Crucial 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model CT4K16G4RFD4213
GRAPHICS CARD : Quadro M5000
POWER SUPPLY: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W or Corsair 1200i
M.2 : SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E1T0BW
DRIVE : SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM
in my first attempt, I had Asus x99-e-10G WS and the EVGA 1200W PSU. Temperatures average about 30 degrees.
- I updated the BIOS of the board, flash the CMOS, switched out the RAM, to a single different stick, switched out the PSU, checked the connections. And still got similar results.
- Could it be the motherboard or the CPU or even the graphics card?
- Someone told me I should install with a basic graphics card before I upgrade to my Quadro M5000 professional card
- Do I need another motherboard that's not x99?
- Ive seen X99 mobos are supported with XEON and I've read they are not. But the mobos I'm listing say it is supported or am I wrong.

I'm currently getting my CPU replaced just in case and switching out my motherboard to the ASUS X99-E- WS 3.1. I'm hoping one of these components was defective and solve my issues when I get the new parts.

Has anyone encountered these issues?

Hello,

It's been over 15yrs since I last built a PC and I know things have changed that I feel like a noob. Please Help. So here's the issue...
After getting everything hooked up I inserted the USB flash drive to boot up windows install. After it went thru the windows check list, I was taken to the serial prompt. After entering my serial and pressing Enter the machine would continue Windows and then reboot.. As if the power cut out and restarted again. This would continuously happen and be stuck in a loop. After restarting I would sometimes get to a windows dialogue that says windows wasn't properly installed. I would try to get into the Bios to boot into the USB again to reinstall, and I would see several partitions probably created by the reboot loop of trying to install windows. Also sometimes, while in BIOS the machine would reboot, again as if someone cut the power and started it up again.

Here's my rig... It's going to be used for Video/3D Rendering/Graphics
CPU : Intel Xeon E5-2697V4 2.3 GHz 45 MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 145W
MOTHERBOARD: Asus X99-E-10G WS OR ASUS X99-E- WS
COOLER: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
RAM : Crucial 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model CT4K16G4RFD4213
GRAPHICS CARD : Quadro M5000
POWER SUPPLY: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W or Corsair 1200i
M.2 : SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E1T0BW
DRIVE : SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM
in my first attempt, I had Asus x99-e-10G WS and the EVGA 1200W PSU. Temperatures average about 30 degrees.
- I updated the BIOS of the board, flash the CMOS, switched out the RAM, to a single different stick, switched out the PSU, checked the connections. And still got similar results.
- Could it be the motherboard or the CPU or even the graphics card?
- Someone told me I should install with a basic graphics card before I upgrade to my Quadro M5000 professional card
- Do I need another motherboard that's not x99?
- Ive seen X99 mobos are supported with XEON and I've read they are not. But the mobos I'm listing say it is supported or am I wrong.

I'm currently getting my CPU replaced just in case and switching out my motherboard to the ASUS X99-E- WS 3.1. I'm hoping one of these components was defective and solve my issues when I get the new parts.

Has anyone encountered these issues?

Hi bcmove007. Have you fired up Intel Ark? There is a huge amount of info about your processor it's requirements, socket types etc..Based on what I see on the E5-2697 there is no on board graphics so your Quadro M5000 would be outputting the graphics. Next that is PCI 16x card, are you in the proper slot for your Mother Board? Some MB's don't like having VGA cards in certain pci express lanes so I would consult your MB manual to ensure that it is correct. I had an Asus ROG Maximus Extreme and I turned off unused PCI express slots. The reason I say this is because it is possible for a graphics card to create a never ending loop but I am more inclined to lean toward it being the OS on USB. Have you tried not entering the serial and select to activate later? Make sure all drives and partitions are deleted/formatted. As far as the MB goes with X99 your Xeon processor it's still a 2011-3 socket BUT some MB's do not support it or you may need to be running the latest bios.
Here is a link to intel ARK and you can always call Asus. https://ark.intel.com/products/91755/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2697-v4-45M-Cache-2_30-GHz?q=E5-2697V4

You are using a huge amount of RAM. I would be inclined to give the system agent a little bump in voltage, say .1. System agent is the memory controller.

Hi joedreamliner78,

Thanks for the response.. I did fire up Intel Ark.. and from what I can see all the parts I have are supported.. I tried the different PCIe slot for the graphics card as well. I also tried not entering a serial... The thing is I don't think Windows never really completely it's install. Do you think it could be the USB stick? Maybe it has to be a USB 3.1?

Hi joedreamliner78,

Thanks for the response.. I did fire up Intel Ark.. and from what I can see all the parts I have are supported.. I tried the different PCIe slot for the graphics card as well. I also tried not entering a serial... The thing is I don't think Windows never really completely it's install. Do you think it could be the USB stick? Maybe it has to be a USB 3.1?

Have you tried deleting the partitions and reinstalling Windows? Don't activate it until you are sure it is installed correctly and running as it should.

Did you notice my advice about supplementing the system agent? It's a setting in bios.

And yes, using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool I would make a new usb installer.

Last edited:
Where did you get the ISO that you used to create your USB stick? I have had a bad ISO download before that presented similar problems.

I have ran into situations where I needed to install the OS on a drive outside of the computer meaning I have a SATA connection that I'm able to use from a USB port out of a laptop and install the OS on that and then plug the drive into the computer and it should recognize it and allow it to post it'll also tell you if you have a bad USB thumb drive have you used this USB thumb drive to install the OS on any other computer and have been successful?

Reseat the power connectors!

I haven't tried that yet, But I'll definitely add that to my checklist if I run into the same problems on my next attempt to put the machine back together.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I have ran into situations where I needed to install the OS on a drive outside of the computer meaning I have a SATA connection that I'm able to use from a USB port out of a laptop and install the OS on that and then plug the drive into the computer and it should recognize it and allow it to post it'll also tell you if you have a bad USB thumb drive have you used this USB thumb drive to install the OS on any other computer and have been successful?

I tried that as well... had a win8 install disk and used an external DVD drive to install, but it had similar results with the reboot.

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you get the ISO that you used to create your USB stick? I have had a bad ISO download before that presented similar problems.

I downloaded the Microsoft Tool and created a USB install from that.

I'd try installing the OS with only one drive in the PC. Aren't there some other needed drivers to install an OS to M.2 drive? or was that an issue with the previous platform?

Back