• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deciding on a new hard drive ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rUfUnKy

Well my IBM is being RMAed and I figured this is probably the best time to get my second drive. I was planning on getting another IBM drive but with all the problems they have been having and there new reliability claim of the GXP series being a 8 to 11 hour a day drive . Well I'll just keep my comments to my self.. I am now looking at the MAXTOR 40GB 7200RPM Model # 6L040J2 - D740X Plus Series Ultra ATA133/100 2MB Cache Buffer <8ms Seek Time - 40.0gb 7200 rpm for $79.00 or the WESTERN DIGITAL EIDE HARD DRIVE 40GB 7200RPM MODEL # WD400BB - Caviar 3.5 inch Form 8.9ms Seek Time 2mb Cache Buffer - 40.0 gb 7200 rpm for $79.00... Spec wise I planed on going with the MAXTOR because of the ATA/133 and the 8ms seek time . But I have not owned ether one of these drives.(although I have used the WD in to systems I recently built witch seem to be good drives but they have only been in there for not even a month) I'd like some comments from people that own these drives.Or if you could point me to some reliable reviews.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
i have two of the 40 gig maxtors and all i can say is i am purely impressed. The drive has met all of my expectations and more and i highy recommend it to everyone. I don't think you will be dissapointed.:)

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
w00t
i just recieved my new maxtor in the mail via fed ex today.
i'll let ya know waht i think but in just really excited. i also
got a HDD cooler just to make sure :p

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
I have 2 of the 40 GIG D740X's as well and like them very much. I got these after my 2 60GXP's failed. I will not recommend IBM, and I have not used WD for some time. If you do get the Maxtors try to get the Fluid Bearing version. The part number you posted, 6L040J2 would be regular ball bearing. The part # for fluid is: 6L040L2.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
hdd

I'm happy with my Maxtor d740x with the fluid motion motors... Its hit 154 fsb and then win2k files got corrupted... I think I need to tune down my memory timings to correct that problem. But it doesn't matter much, cuz my nic craps out at 150 anyway....

Good HDD so far, had it a week.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Re: hdd

Arkaine23 said:
I'm happy with my Maxtor d740x with the fluid motion motors... Its hit 154 fsb and then win2k files got corrupted... I think I need to tune down my memory timings to correct that problem. But it doesn't matter much, cuz my nic craps out at 150 anyway....

Good HDD so far, had it a week.

That is weird, I run at 160-163, depending on temps of course, and I have had no issues with the HD's at all. I am running the Maxtors in raid0 with a Promise TX2000.

OP
rUfUnKy

rUfUnKy

Hmm looks like the maxtor is the top pick...I'll be ordering later tonight so looks like I'll be getting a maxtor ..nikhsub1 I'll check out the price diference in the fluid bearings if it's not a big jump I'll be all over it...Thanks guys

EDIT: Just ordered the 6L040L2 hope it gets hear soon...

:D

Last edited:

ltww

L's & J's?

What the difference between the 2 types of maxtor ATA133 drives, I see a version with J and a version with L manafacturer codes. The only problem here is I'm after a 60 gigger but am only able to get my hands on a J format drive ....What am I gargling on about!?

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
my maxtor d740x is AWESOME!!! i got a hdd cooler too
just to be safe. it runs at 160FSB with no corruption at all.
i'm very pleased with it.

Malakai

i got a 60gigger D740X non-fluid bearing drive. 3 days folding, gaming, and stability testing at 166mhz and not a hiccup. This is a gradeA drive IMHO. much quiter than the older maxtors as well.
im gonna get a 2nd one and a 133/raid controller soon too......
well maybe not, to much $$, but this is a great drive. IBM sucks. If u get one that works they're great, but like half suck for real. Even the new 120GXP's are only rated for 8hrs a day. I have active drive cooling, but still.
they're only 98$ from newegg 4 the 60gig non fluid bearing model. I highly recommend it. 166fsb rulez:D
-Malakai

Ice_Gargoylle

between those 2 drives, maxtor

the only wd's worth getting for performance are the spwecial editions, but those are 100gig +.

how bout a barracuda 4?

comments?

i was looking at those before i found the special editions.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
I LOVE me new MAXTOR 80G 740X-6L
The seek times on this drive are amasing (for IDE), really helps speed up loading times...
And if you got a few extra pennys, get the Fluid Dynamic motor. As i can only hear the HDD when it is writing/reading/searching.... You cant not hear the drive spin :)

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
I like WD myself. They’re quite, reliable and I’ve never had any problems with mine. :)

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Max 86 said:
Thanks, jay

To cool the Maxtor, I think I'll reuse the 3pin 50mm fan that came with the boxed 800 Celery.

without cooling my 80 gets around 45C MAX (43 right now)...
As the HDD has a internal thermistor...
get some software that can read S.M.A.R.T. and you will always have a grip on how hot your HDD is