• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decisions... 5770 x2, 5850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishDog3

Pretty simple, I'm building a gaming rig over the next week. I have decided on going with an I7 system and will get a CrossFire board. So my last decisions is graphics. Here are my ideas, would love to hear your input.

Option #1: ~$310-320
Get two 5770's and have DX11 support. Budget route.

Option #2: ~$300 now + ? in 4-6 months
Get a 5850, and another one in a few months. Gives me comparable (I think) performance to the 5770s for the same price, with a nice upgrade path by adding a single card instead of replacing both cards in a year. More performance sooner, with a lower upgrade cost.

Option #2: ~$410 now + ? in 6-12 months
Get a 5870, and get another one within the year. If I'm going to go big, why not go all the way? I guess the question is, how much better than the 5850 is it, both as a single card and paired in a crossfire. And how much better will it be when I put in a second card.

I know myself, and I know that I won't make another major upgrade other than additional memory and another video card within the next year and a half to two years. So, I should probably take the best path to make this system count for that time period.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
I think option #2 is the best since a 5850 should be able to take on any game with the eye candy on, except at ridiculously large resolutions.

psionic98

option 2
single card is always easier to deal with than dual cards, plus the 5770 even overclocked doesn't barely make it to 5850 benches..plus the 5850 can oc well too.. imo its a no brainer.. plus getting 2nd 5850 down the road would be beastly!

OP
FishDog3

FishDog3

What is the 5830 going to be, a crippled 5850? Don't think I'm going to wait. If it's not delayed again, it will be mid-late feb before I can get a card.

Khemikal

Price is the big downside to the 5770. At Newegg it cost just as much as a 4870, and performs worse. Currently they cost $170+. A 5850 will set you back only $290+. So you can save about $50ish for basically little to no performance loss, and leave yourself a clear upgrade path by adding a second down the road.

PS. You have 2 option #2s :p

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Get the best you can afford. And unless you are on a 30" 2560x1600 monitor, a single 5850/5870 will be just fine.

ChaosInMind

Get the best you can afford. And unless you are on a 30" 2560x1600 monitor, a single 5850/5870 will be just fine.

Think about it this way. The 5850 is the second fastest GPU in the world. The 5870 IS the fastest single GPU in the world, and the 5970 is the fastest dual GPU setup in the world on a single PCB...

The 5850 overclocks (EASILY) to 5870+++ speeds, so if you get a 5850, your having your cake, and eating it too ;-)

Lets look at the benchmarks...

04_crysis.png

As you can see.... a SINGLE 5850 overclocked is just a couple notches lower than a stock GTX295...

When you put the performance/price into perspective, the 5850 is a great choice. A GTX295 is $200 more expensive than a 5850... Now think about CrossfireX with two 5850's?

We've got a winner ;-)

mrgoodkat

If you can afford the 5850, get that. Dont worry about adding another for a good amount of time. That is pure overkill.

The only reason someone should be considering 5770x2 is if they absolutely need a card now, and cant afford the 5850. That was my situation. I had a GTX280 and wanted to unload it before fermi, so I could get a decent amount back. Time was my enemy. In the end I found a used XfX 5850 w/warranty, for $290, and put together antoher $100 out of nowhere.

Phenomenal card, still not a fan of CCC.

ChaosInMind

If you can afford the 5850, get that. Dont worry about adding another for a good amount of time. That is pure overkill.

Well he is talking about getting dual 5770's... might as well get the single 5850... I wouldn't say its overkill for dual 5850's, depending on the settings, games he is playing, and his performance expectations. But the reason I mentioned two is for games down the road. The option to add a second 5850 later, or replace two 5770's for new cards?

By the way what resolution are you running at?? Do you like Anti Aliasing, or AF?

mrgoodkat

I think we are in agreement. It just sounds like in his plans he is going into this with crossfire in mind right out of the gate, hell or high water. I have a buddy running a single 5850 on a 30 inch monitor, and his FR is perfectly respectable.

ChaosInMind

Eh, 30inch still seems like its pushing it for more advanced games with AA, and AF like Crysis WARHEAD. (For Example). I feel like future games in 1-2 years will be way too much for a 5770 crossfire. My main point is 5770 crossfire is more expensive than a single 5850.

Last edited:
OP
FishDog3

FishDog3

Sorry, I never responded here. I decided to go with a single 5850 for the moment, and will be picking up another one in a month or so. Is it overkill? Well, running Bad Company 2 at 1650x1080 with high everything and 8xAA the game starts to bogg down to 20-30 fps. Not a big deal, turning down the AA to 2x or 4x and it runs great a 50-80fps, and looks great too. All of the other games I play (BF2142, DODS, CSS, BF2, Dirt 2) run fine with maxed out settings. But I'll still be picking up another 5850 once the prices take a drop, it's a total luxury but I'd like to see my FPS in the newer games up to that 100+ mark with most of the eye-candy on.

Also note that BFBC2 is still in beta, is a console port, and isn't optimized for PC hardware yet (it uses too much CPU, not enough memory/graphics). I should grab Crysis or something, try out a newer game. Although, BF2142 used to kill my old system (which I built a little before the game came out), and I can run max settings/res with 8xAA without any serious input lag (80+fps).

Thanks for the input and help guys, this rig is kicking *** and taking names.

Last edited: