• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decisions - Decisions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RS

Registered
THIS IS 1ST TIME BUILDING A COMPLETE SYSTEM. I'D LIKE TO STAY SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE AS FAR AS PRICE GOES. I DON'T REALLY NEED ALOT OF SPEED RIGHT NOW, BUT I MIGHT PLAY THE O/C GAME IN THE FUTURE!!!!! LOOKS LIKE I'LL BE USING A SHUTTLE AK31...... CAN'T DECIDE ON THE CPU.

ANY HELP ON THESE QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!!!!

WHATS THE PROS & CONS :
IF I CHOOSE THE DURON OVER THE ATHLON
IF I GET THE OEM VERSION INSTEAD OF THE BOXED VERSION
WHAT IS --- AYHJA STEPPING

Last edited:
number 1 suggestion, dont type w/ caps lock on

athlon will get u a little beter preformance then the duron. the boxed cpu will get u a nice paperwieght with it, other than that they are the same. if u have enough money i recomend the xp 1600+. good choice on the motherboard

good reply !
ok --- the caps lock is off!!!!!

i hear there's no warranty on the OEM version?
why the XP1600+ --- i'm just curious.
what is the AYHJA stepping that i see at places like newegg?

the stepping is basicly when and were and such of the cpu, that stepping (i think, not sure) is a good stepping for a 1.4?
basicly its how good it will overclock,

the 1600+ cpus have been the best overclockers out of probably any cpu except the new t-breds

agoga is the best stepping for a palamino(sp?)

i have a 1700+ and with aircooling i can oc to 1.6ghz(1900+) and im sure you could do more than that with a AGOGA 1600+,

and i can prob do more watercooled, I can, but im not watercooling at the moment(testin stuff with cooling)

i dont think youll notice a diff between a duron and an athlon
except that duron stock fsb is always 100mhz and athlons have both 100 and 133, the athlon xp cpus are all 133(youll hear 266) its 133x2
you can run the durons on 133 if you lower the multiplier, that just lets you do higher fsb on your ram and oc your ram better...

a good heatsink for CHEAP is the svc golden gate i have one and its awesome!, its just like the sk6, i made a 60-80adapter for it today and i love that!(i made it out of a cd-r)

i hope this helps

Back