• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decreased performance w/ overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

upwardspiral

Hello,
I bought my P35-D3SL and E2180 a while back while the sole purpose of overclocking, then never got around to it! Now I want to get more out of my 8800gt, which I'm told is severely bottle-necked through my 2ghz processor.
I started overclocking, bringing the FSB to 266, and making sure the ram stayed at 800mhz with the SPD #. At first, my game ran way faster and I was pretty pleased, but I've noticed now that everything runs VERY slow at times, and crashes sometimes as well. Is this a voltage issue? Should I raise the CPU voltage?
Another side question: Should the 40mm northbridge fan be installed so as to blow air towards or away from the HS? I've heard both and I'm wondering :)
Thanks,
me

Have you given the NB a boost yet? They need power too :)

And i would say to push air over it rather than pull air off of it. Other way you end up pulling warm air from the CPU over the NB.

Your system is not stable . So it starts off working fine then starts erroring ( Slowing down more and more )

Are you on the stock heat sink ? Did you De-lid it ?
My buddy had one on water and it wasnt good for much more than 3ish on water.( stable would bench higher )

thanks for the quick replys

I havent given the NB a boost, i didnt see that option... which leads me to another questions of mine--are all the options that i need to mess with (p35-d3sl remember) on the MIT page of BIOS? Do I need to do anything to other options outside that tab? From what I've read it should all be in the same place.

By not stable, do you mean there is not enough voltage? It's funny, in all these guides there are none that tell it plain and simple, as in: Change this option, change this option to X. So from what I gather, all I need to worry about is FSB, SPD, and voltage, yes? Well, I'm not gonna mess with my 10x multiplier unless someone tells me I should.
thanks,
me

oh, and i got a HSF that was recommended, cant remember what it is, but its a pretty good one for overclocking this particular chip on this board i was told. what does de-lid mean?

By bosting the NB he means adding voltage for the nb .

How did you check to see if it is stable

Right, I just don't see an option for that. I just sort of .. used the computer for a bit and it kept crashing and being lame so it's not stable.

Poke around through all the tabs in the BIOS. I don't have that board, so i have no clue what's what lol. There should be an option to change the North Bridge voltage somewhere, but it may be called something else.

Try increasing the CPU voltage in small increments and then testing with Prime 95. If it fails/bluescreens, give it another bump, but keep an eye on temps. Don't let it get too hot, or it'll start to throttle and we'll be back at square one.

P.S. I've never owned a C2D... i went straight from the Pentium D to i7, so if i say something that seems stupid, someone please correct me lol

how do you like the i7?

what does throttle mean exactly? I think I got a stable 3ghz o/c, pretty easy actually very little temperature gain, like 8 degrees or something for 1000mhz lol! I think I can go higher... whats a temp to keep it under? I've heard 65.

The Max temp for that CPU is 73c, I believe. I'd keep it under 60-65. If the CPU gets too hot, it will slow itself down and cut voltage which is throttling.

how do you like the i7?

what does throttle mean exactly? I think I got a stable 3ghz o/c, pretty easy actually very little temperature gain, like 8 degrees or something for 1000mhz lol! I think I can go higher... whats a temp to keep it under? I've heard 65.

I love it!
Mine's a b**** to OC though... fighting to get it to be stable right now :/ The newer D0 steppings are a lot easier to OC and run a lot cooler though, so don't let my lemon of a chip scare you off if you're thinking about one lol

And to throttle just means that the CPU backs the speed and voltage off to reduce heat output and get the temps down to normal ranges.

I don't know much about your particular chip... i'd say 70 is absolute MAX. 65 sounds about right though.

Thanks for all the help, she's runnin real nice now and it's freezing outside now so I don't have to worry about overheating at all I just open the window haha.
I'm thinking about getting the hp laptop dv8 or 7, which I think has the mobile version of that chip? I'm planning on making it a hackintosh, though, which I guess requires replacing the wifi hardware... ughhhhhhhh

Hmm seems like a lost cause. I loved my DS3L. Heck I even found a volt mod for it. Its a mother F-er of a mobo.

I would think you need to reformat and install due to a bad over clock. I dont see a over clocked e2180 bottle necking a 8800gt.

Back