• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dedicated VRAM AMD RYZEN 5 2500U & RADEON VEGA 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RGAlix

Registered
Hello,

I have a Lenovo E585 with AMD RYZEN 5 2500U & RADEON VEGA 8, and the default dedicated VRAM is 256MB. I recorded a log of memory usage in game while lagging, and it showed that only about 5GB of RAM were being used (out of 8GB available).

I used stress-test softwares to see if that was due to the game not requiring more RAM and here is what I got :
Capture.PNG

As you can see, my CPU and GPU are running at 100%, and I still have about 3GB of RAM unused. I don't know if this is normal, but it doesn't seem to me.

I wanted to increase the dedicated VRAM, but I don't have that option in the BIOS, and I don't have it either in AMD RADEON software (no 'Tuning' tab).

Can someone point me in the right direction to solve my problem ? Should I focus on dedicated VRAM ? Adding RAM (I don't think so since I already have unused RAM) ? Something else ?

Thank you,
Alix

Zerileous

First, what is the game? Second what stress software did you use for the screenshot? Maybe something like GPU-Z will give a better idea of what is going on. I believe the Vega 8 will use whatever ram it can, I don't believe it's limited to 256MB, rather that's the minimum and it can call for more from there. That said this is probably a pretty limited setup, so depending on the game there may not be much that tweaking settings can do.

OP
R

RGAlix

Registered
Hi, the game is Valorant, and their required specs are below what I have. I know that the Vega 8 should be using all available RAM, but as you can see, 3GB are left unused, which concerns me.

For the screenshot, I used FurMark to stress CPU and GPU at the same time. GPU-Z tells me that the GPU is using 4.5GB RAM out of 8GB. If I stress-test the CPU and GPU separately, I end up with 4.5GB RAM used each time.

Zerileous

FurMark doesn't necessarily simulate a game being played. It is likely that it simply doesn't use that much vram. You could try something like Unigen Heaven, or just play the game for a bit then tab out to check. I'm not sure how the iGPU in this laptop compares to the standard Vega8. For example the graphics clock for a 2500U is listed as 1100MHz while a 3200G is listed as 1250MHz. Additionally the specs for Valorant list 4GB system and 1GB VRAM, so a total of 5GB being used for that game seems appropriate.

Anyway looking at more data like GPU/CPU-z or HWINFO64 while gaming could be helpful. I still think it could be that you don't have the best experience with this APU gaming because it is a lower power part, but you could also be encountering some other limitation like a thermal issue. We'd need more data to determine. I don't think the size of the memory allocated to the iGPU is the problem though.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I was going to say... Valorant at 1080p/ultra doesn't use a ton of VRAM. If I had to guess, maybe the system is thermally throttling? Laptops tend to do that.

OP
R

RGAlix

Registered
Okay, I got some recordings, and it seems that temperature might be a limiting factor indeed.

CaptureGPU-Z.PNG

CaptureHW.PNG

So I guess there isn't much to be done on a laptop ?

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Nope, laptops, in general, are pretty limited. If the option isn't in the BIOS then you're out of luck. It does appear from GPUz that the APU is using a fair amount of the system memory.