• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DeepThroat--Triple co-axial contra-rotating fan mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wicked. Instead of using a push/pull sandwich setup on my rad I'll have to get fans that rotate in the opposite direction and put 'em both on the same side and reall move some air.

hmm that is an interesting idea, care to add more fans??? I think the thermalright will give you more performance and most people here will want to know what you get with a thermalright (here is one for 34.99 click here). And I'll add the "I want to know the temp drop!!!" comment. Nice idea and keep us up2date

Shaitan said:
You still haven't told us just how much temps dropped after the full mod. I wanna know :burn:

Well, it might be a while, or maybe never...

I don't wanna have to disassemble all the stuff. If I just disconnect power from fans and test with, 1, then 2, then all 3 running, it's not an accurate test. The reason is that each fan that's not running creates quite a bit of resistance, thus decresing the airflow and pressure of the fan(s) that is/are running. To accurately test how much cooler the setup is with 3 fans vs. 2 fans vs. 1 fan, I'd have to completely disassemble it, and reassemble it in stages, testing after each stage. With the amount of work/time I put into it, and the time required to undo it, then redo it in little stages, and test after each stage, I'd rather not do it. :(

Additionally, did you read my post above? I don't think the 3rd fan helped temps, and I explained why. I do recall that at the time, the 2nd fan decreased temps (not accurately tested) by about 2C degrees.

SewerBeing said:
hmm that is an interesting idea, care to add more fans??? I think the thermalright will give you more performance and most people here will want to know what you get with a thermalright (here is one for 34.99 click here). And I'll add the "I want to know the temp drop!!!" comment. Nice idea and keep us up2date

I'll definitely keep you up to date. For now I'm just going to run as is. I'll probably grab that Dynatron before too long. It's built for a 60mm fan, so I can drop DeepThroat onto it with no problems. If I get the Thermalright, then I'll have to fabricate some type of mounting bracket or something. I won't be able to screw it onto a Thermalright, and none of the fan mounting clips that come with it will work for DeepThroat.

Last edited:
Found another counter-rotating DC fan, from JMC Products:

40x50x32_image.gif

http://www.jmcproducts.com/products/dc_fans/40x50x38mm.shtml

This one is even slightly better than the SanAce model, IMO (partly because it's a US HQ'd company ;) in Austin, TX).

I'm still looking for a 60x60mm model....

After reading much of those tech papers, digesting the material, and doing some critical thinking, I realize that I've got pressure overkill, and just not enough flow volume (CFM). I'm getting less than 25cfm of flow right now. Thus, I'm going to ditch the DeepThroat setup soon (even though it's really cool ;)), and move to a single 60x38mm fan. I'd really like to use the Sanyo Denki model 9G0612G102. It's a 60x38mm at 11,800rpm, that flows 65cfm, and has the highest static pressure of any axial fan, of any size, that I've found, with the exception of the counter rotating 40mm Sanyo Denki. Only problem is that I can't find anywhere online that sells Sanyo Denki, let alone this particular model... :(

This Sanyo 60x38 fan would give me over 2.8 times the airflow of DeepThroat, and retaining almost as much pressure. If I can't acquire the Sanyo fan, I guess I'll settle for the Delta 60x38 FFB0612EHE. It flows 15cfm less than the Sanyo, but this is still double the airflow I have now.

Shaitan said:
You still haven't told us just how much temps dropped after the full mod. I wanna know :burn:

I wasn't satisfied with the triple setup, and started playing with the idea of just two of the fans, but not mounted coaxially. This should give less pressure, but more overall volume (CFM). I designed a prototype fan shroud of plastic and electrical tape, with the two fans side by side, each angled about 45 degrees from the heatsink (think of the fans as two sides of a triangle). The final device will be made of aluminimum or steel. This prototype has given me the best cooling yet with a load temp of 42C degrees.

I'm posting now, as I have disassembled the prototype, and have tested with just one fan, with two fans coaxially, and all three fans coaxially (DeepThroat). The resulsts:

Single Fan (SuperRed): 47.5C degrees under load
Plus 1 NMB coax: 45.0C degrees under load
Plus 2 NMB coax: 44.5C degrees under load
*Prototype dual: 42C degrees under load

Although the pressure is impressive, it appears at this point that the 3rd coaxial fan isn't worth the effort, as the measured drop is within margin of error--meaning almost no distinguishable drop, here 0.5C degrees observed. Two fans coaxially, however, gave a consistent measurable drop of 2.5C degrees over the single fan device.

I'm encouraged by the initial dual side-by-side prototype, and am anxious to get the final device finished. The prototype showed a decrease of 5.5C degress over the single fan (the 2 NMBs in this case, with the SuperRed retired). I expect even better performance from the final device, as I plan to install a vertical deflector panel in between the two fans, which was not implemented in the prototype. This divider will accomplish two things:

1. Eliminate any turbulent interference between the outputs of the two fans
2. Produce full flow coverage of all the surface area of all sink fins

I'll post pictures and temp results when I have this next design finished and installed.

Wow, that is an awesome idea and certainly one I have never heard of. I would really like to see a picture of how you set up a triangle of fans to blow on your cpu. Again, awesome work and thanks for answering about the temp drops.

I tried doing two fans side by side. I used a sheet of aluminum. The fans are firing straight down into the fan shroud. I then used electrical tape to seal all the holes and gaps.

My temps before were with fan at full and full load
Case - 27
NB - 30
CPU - 53

Now my temps with Fans at lowest speed and full load :clap:
Case - 25
NB - 30
CPU - 52

at full speed full load cpu drops to 49-50 celsius, a little loud though.

Now all I need is a blowhole with a Delta triple blade fan on top and i am set.

Thanks for the idea

db before = 59-61
db low = 50-53
db full = 60-62

That sounds like a cool thing, but I can't even imagine it, any chance you got a picture you can show? Congrats on your decible level drop.

I really wish that i had a digital camera to take a pic of it. Sorry :-/

I think my next project will be to make an air duct to the side of the case and put in a blowhole on the top of the computer. I am thinking about getting the Sidewinder Delta 92mm 72 cfm badboys. they are pretty quite and can be controlled by my fan controller.

Oh yeah and I forgot to say what kind of fans that I have. They are YS-Tech NFD126025BB-2f. I can not find the specs on it anymore??? I bought them on newegg but they dont have them. I believe that they are 50 cfm fans. They are 12v 7.2W. Anyways they work quite well

Back