• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defogger Repair Kit Volt Mod on TH7II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Wish me luck with this one. I dumped my Asus P4TE and picked up an Abit TH7II. Instead of wrapping the pins with wire like I did last time, I got a window defogger repair kit and traced it out on the socket with a needle. Very tedious, but not quite as bad as the wiring job I think. It took me about two hours of slowly adding coats to the pin holes, and then bridging between them. I'm getting continuity with a volt meter, but I won't know if the pins make contact until I fire it up.

I've also made a custom heatsink to go on the drcg's. I cut a ram sink in half and it happened to fit perfect. I epoxied it on with arctic silver. Hopefully will help me a little on the high end. It's going to be another hour or two before I get it all back in the case and purge my water cooling system. Maybe by about 12 I'll be posting some good news from this baby at around 3GHz :)

Last edited:
Hell yes!! It worked :D :D :D Man my hand was shakin as I hit the power button. Those seconds before I heard a beep and saw the monitor light up seemed like an eternity. Entered the bios and found a nice welcome - 1.85 volts default, manual selections up to 2.2 :) Off I go to install windows....

Last edited:
Well it seems I can boot at 3GHz, but this board starts making the ambulance sound after it finishes post. Don't know what its problems is just yet. Perhaps I should move over to the Abit forum now.

Well this is the oddest mobo I've ever had. I ownded it once before when I had a s478 willy and it drove me nuts. Sold that and found out the early versions had some major issues. I decided to try it again since my P4TE was no the friendliest overclocker. Over the past few hours my memory has been refreshed. Yes this is still the same old weird mobo. 3GHz is not happening, and after countless pressing of the reset and insert buttons, as well as seeing the codes AF, and 26 displayed in bright green here are my best results :rolleyes:

cpuid2.9.jpg

ssCpu.jpg

ssMm.jpg

ssMem.jpg

jdmcnudgent said:
manually set your jumpers on your mobo to 137, or more, goes up to 150, and set the ram down to 3x, and let that puppy rip at 3014. you'll get it.
I'll give it a shot later today. This darn board is so annoying. Takes a dozen or more boot attempts with the insert key and reset before it makes it through post after changing a bios setting.

jdmcnudgent said:
manually set your jumpers on your mobo to 137, or more, goes up to 150, and set the ram down to 3x, and let that puppy rip at 3014. you'll get it.
There aren't any jumpers to set the fsb manually on the TH7 unless I'm missing something.

I hate how my abit does that. I was thinking of one of of the th7, but maybe ill go with the asus p4s333.

I'd kill for that memory bandwidth! I think it's the memory holding ya back. Yea I know what ya mean, something unlocked the cpu when I was working with it and I was shakin that I messed up the unlocking alot of times. My hands aren't steady at all!

Yodums said:
I'd kill for that memory bandwidth! I think it's the memory holding ya back. Yea I know what ya mean, something unlocked the cpu when I was working with it and I was shakin that I messed up the unlocking alot of times. My hands aren't steady at all!
I'm not so sure it's the memory because I did try setting it back to 300, so it would almost be at default speed around 3GHz. The chip just won't budge. No doubt would go well above 3GHz with a Vapochill. This seems to be a good combination anyway. If I went much higher with the bus I'd have to slow the ram down, and a P4 at this speed is no good without full memory bandwidth.

Burning Phoenix said:
what's your voltage currently at to get that high?
Yes I did the 1.85 mod - as the title of the thread explains, I used defogger repair kit to paint the socket. I'm running approx 1.9 volts, 1.95 setting in the bios - 1.9 actual. About as much as I dare try with watercooling. Temps are about 130F under load. Extra voltage really spikes the temp. At 1.6 volts it ran about 100 under load.

did you take pics of the mod when you did it. i would like to do this. or cold i set default to 1.7, to get all the options, and then put the trim pot on the board and adjust. also, im running the 39c bios, but comes up as 39b on the screen.

Back