• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defrag problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chum

I have used Defraggler and Puran Defrag. Both reported the drive at 8% fragmented. After Defraggler ran it still reported 8% fragmented. After running Puran regular Defrag and Boot Time defrag, it now reports the drive as 9% fragmented!:bang head
What is going on? This is a WD black 1TB HDD. I just want to get it optimized before cloning it to a Samsung 1TB SSD.

That's a small amount of fragmentation no matter how you look at it and there was no real need to defrag it anyway. And did you realize that SSDs don't suffer from file fragmentation? That is a phenomenon that applies only to spinners. SSDs store data in a completely different way.

I know about SSDs a little, but was told elsewhere to optimize before cloning...perhaps I am over concerned. Thanks! Love your signature BTW...ain't it the TRUTH!

I know about SSDs a little, but was told elsewhere to optimize before cloning...perhaps I am over concerned. Thanks! Love your signature BTW...ain't it the TRUTH!

Thanks! PTL!

I think you have done what you need to do by way of optimization except . . .

Before cloning, I would run these two operations from Command Prompt with admin ("elevated") privileges:

1. chkdsk /f /r
2. sfc /scannow

A space should go between the command and the first switch and between switches as well. Just one space. Can be hard to see in a typed line so I thought i'd mention it.

Right click on the Windows start button and left click on Command Prompt (Admin) that is in the menu.

These two commands will attempt to find and repair bad data clusters on the spinner hard drive and find and replace broken system files. Sfc /scannow should complete in about 20 minutes but the chkdsk scan can take hours and seem to be stuck on 10%. But it isn't stuck. Be patient. It will finish all of a sudden after seeming to be stuck on 10%

If you have damaged files then Macrium may not allow you to clone.

I would also run CrystalDiskInfo (a free program) to check the SMART data on your spinner. It it shows signs of impending failure you might not want to reuse it.

Last edited:
Hi @Chum!

This is not a serious level of defragmentation and furthermore - it won't be of any significant matter for the cloning process as well, so you can easily clone it to the new SSD.

Also, regarding a specific software for the job, you can download and use Acronis True Image WD Edition for free since your HDD is from our brand:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=t0LD8k

Additionally, you can follow the steps in this KB article in order to complete the process:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=57Bppy

Cheers! :)

I use both Macrium and Acronis and both work very well. Whichever you use, just be very careful when choosing your source and target drives. You don't want to clone the SSD to the spinner and wind up with a blank drive.

Back